NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Faculty of Engineering
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
PhD Position within Industrial Robotics towards the Norwegian Manufacturing Industry (IV-188/18)
The PhD scholarship is part of the Productions Systems Group at Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering.
The candidate will work on solutions for the robotic production of small-batch and one-off products. The solutions will be implemented in the robot laboratories of the production systems group, comprising several real-time controlled industrial robots and industrial grade 3D vision systems. The focus will be on the integration of off-line programming solutions with motion planning and real-time trajectory generation methods, as well as 3D vision systems and geometric calibration methods. The candidate should be proficient in kinematics and geometric methods for industrial robots and robot vision systems, and the development of software for such systems. Experience with ROS/ROS2, MoveIt!, Matlab, Python, and C++ is desired.
The candidate must have a relevant MSc degree in Manufacturing, Robotics, Computer Science, Control Systems, or equivalent with an average grade of B or better according to either NTNU’s or the ECTS grading system.
Applicants need to have excellent presentation and communication skills.
Fluency in English - written and oral.
Candidates from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a Diploma Supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grade system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree: www.ec.europa.eu/education/tools/diploma-supplement_en.htm
The candidate must have excellent analytical and modeling skills combined with interest and experience in experimental work. The successful applicants are motivated and ambitious students with excellent grades. Proficiency to carry out goal-oriented work, good skills to deliver oral and written presentations of research results (good writing skills in English are essential), and good cooperation abilities will be emphasized.
The PhD candidates will be required to work in Trondheim at the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. A statement on when the applicant can start in the position if selected should be supplied.
PhD Candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated with a gross salary NOK 436.900 before tax deduction. There will be a 2 % deduction to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund from gross wage. As a member of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund you are offered:
- A good pension scheme
- A favorable housing loan interest
- Good insurance schemes
Applicants for a PhD will have to engage in an organized PhD training program, and appointment in the positions requires approval of the applicants plan and qualifications for the PhD study within three months from the date of commencement of the PhD position. See https://www.ntnu.edu/iv/phd-information and https://innsida.ntnu.no/doktorgrad for more information.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. The positions adhere to the Norwegian Government’s policy of balanced ethnicity, age and gender. Persons with immigrant background are encouraged to apply. NTNU´s objective is to increase the number of females in scientific positions and female applicants are therefore encouraged to apply.
The position is of 3 years duration.
The application should contain:
- CV which should include: relevant formal educational background, diploma grade, participation in research projects, work experience, skills and any other relevant experience.
- Certified diploma (note that diploma supplement or similar has to be attached for degrees outside Norway and master diplomas from China have to be verified by CDGDC (http://www.chinadegrees.cn/en/).
- Certified grade transcripts and documentation of an average grade of B or better as described above.
- Three reference letters.
- Motivational letter of maximum two pages describing why the applicant wants to come to NTNU, the applicant’s view of research challenges within the area of the PhD position and how the applicant´s competence can contribute to solve these challenges.
- Statement of experience with regard to the list of important subject areas mentioned above.
- If applicable, list of publications, conferences presentations and other relevant scientific work
- Proficiency in English, best shown by providing TOEFL scores.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Test scores or equivalent would strengthen the application.
For further information about the position, please contact:
Applications should be submitted electronically through www.jobbnorge.no. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Mark the application with ref.no IV-188/18
Anticipated commencement: To be agreed with the Department.
Application deadline: 14 June 2018
According to the new Freedom of Information Act, information concerning the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the list of applicants.