Raspberry Pi Pico

The Raspberry Pi Foundation have just announced the Pico, a microcontroller running custom silicon designed by them. It supports Micro Python and C++, also has 8 state machines on board:
Meet Raspberry Silicon: Raspberry Pi Pico now on sale at $4 - Raspberry Pi

I’ve ordered one along with a display and I’m going to see if I can get micropython-rosserial running on it, it’d be a very nice option to use if so!

5 Likes

Interesting! Tons of I/O in a tiny package. For what I can see and runs on a Dual-core Arm Cortex-M0+ @ 133MHz with 264KB of on-chip RAM.

Ping @FraFin, @Jaime_Martin_Losa, @ralph-lange. It would be a great milestone for micro-ros to support it and may even simplify bringing people from other communities over to the ROS one.

7 Likes

@kneave Wow, such great news! Thanks for sharing this with the community.

@vmayoral Yes, porting micro-ROS to it would be a total hoot! We’ll keep you posted (and of course, as always, we invite members of the community to undertake the adventure themselves in the meantime, if motivated enough :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

I’m still finding my feet with ROS and Python for that matter, I’d love to get involved though. I’m working on a robot at the minute so once I’ve got it working with ROS I’ll start looking at ROS2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a really cool device, and what’s even more interesting is that the Raspberry Pi foundation has collaborated with many companies in the microcontroller space to create even more boards based on their MCU.
Regarding micro-ROS, maybe anther cool target would be the “Arduino Nano RP2040 Connect”, since it has WIFI and Bluetooth connectivity on board.

Darko Lukić posted this, he’s got micro ROS working on it :slight_smile:

Raspberry Pi Pico and ROS 2 - Embedded - ROS Discourse

3 Likes

I have been playing around with this and have got quadrature encoder counting running on a state machine on the pio (runs with no load on processor). Have set up 4 instances, sending the counts over dma to the m0 chip, testing with 8 tomorrow.

2 Likes