Hummingbird Systems, LLC is a robotics technology company developing an autonomous aerial fulfillment solution for next generation warehouse management systems.
Our software team is growing rapidly and we are looking for talented software engineers with a robotics background to join our small, agile, world-class team. In this role you will have the opportunity to work on diverse parts of our high-performance robotics software stack, including Simulation, Perception, Localization, Motion Planning and more.
You will be working directly with other team members to interface and test the software you develop with the drone hardware, embedded computers, and sensor systems. You will be expected to have a broad foundation in many different technical focus areas and to contribute effectively in fast-paced product development cycles.
- Contribute to the autonomy software stack that powers our robot fleets, spanning the full spectrum from high-level autonomy algorithms to interfacing with sensors and actuators.
- Some example autonomy domains:
- Sensing: Sensor driver development and calibration
- Perception & ML: Static and dynamic objects detection
- State Estimation: Estimate and predict robot states, Kalman and nonlinear dynamic filter design
- Planning: Obstacle avoidance route planning and trajectory optimization, behavior planning, multi-agents fleet management
- Control: Dynamic system identification, flight controller interface
- Work as part of the team maintaining core robot software infrastructure, including systems for world representation, behavior composition, visualization, and log playback
- Autonomy software build environment maintenance
- Build hi-fidelity environments for both Software and hardware into the loop simulations.
- System health and diagnostic monitoring
- Autonomy software stack onboard computer deployments
- Automate flight data extraction and post-processing
- Get hands-on experience running your code on our physical robots
- Participate in planning and executing major software development initiatives that bring new capabilities to our robots and/or improve software performance and reliability
- Work with other teams across the software organization to solve complex cross-functional problems
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, ECE, Robotics, Physics, Mathematics, or related field, or the equivalent in experience with evidence of exceptional ability preferred.
- At least 3 years combined graduate academic and professional software development experience.
- Foundational understanding of linear algebra and probabilities
- Strong C++ and Python skills.
- Experienced in ROS2/ROS or other robotics software frameworks and middlewares
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new technology and work in a fast growing environment.
- Ability to explore and learn about an existing software system beyond the boundaries of the specific parts that you regularly work on
- Ability to create your own work plan based on understanding deficiencies in the existing software system in the context of the team’s high-level objectives
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively both orally and in writing with other team members
- 5+ years combined graduate academic and professional software development experience.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent experience.
- Experience with any of the following:
- Multi-sensor calibration, intrinsics and extrinsics
- Deep Learning frameworks: pytorch, tensorflow
- Visual odometry, mapping, and SLAM.
- Multi-agent path planning for fleet management
- Experience with PX4 or Ardupilot
- Dynamics system identification and controls
- Embedded systems and real time applications.
We look forward to hearing from you and potentially welcoming you to our team! Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: [Hbird-Career]-Robotics-Engineer