ROS Resources: Documentation | Support | Discussion Forum | Service Status | Q&A answers.ros.org

ROS 2 TSC Meeting Minutes: 2020-10-15

ROS 2 TSC Meeting Minutes - 2020-10-15

ROS 2 TSC Contribution Self-Report 2020-10-15.pdf (97.4 KB)

  • Attendees

    • eProsima: Jaime Martin, Eduardo Ponz, Pablo Garrido
    • Apex.AI: Dejan Pangercic
    • ROBOTIS: Will Son
    • ADLINK: Joe Speed with Angelo Corsaro, Luca Cominardi, Gabriele Baldoni for Zenoh presentation and demo.
    • Canonical: Sid Faber
    • AWS RoboMaker: Aaron Blasdel
    • Open Robotics: Brian Gerkey, William Woodall, Kat Scott, Dirk Thomas, Louise Poubel, Chris Lalancette, Tully Foote, Geoffrey Biggs
    • PickNik Robotics: Dave Coleman
    • Microsoft: Sean Yen
    • Toyota Research Institute: Ian McMahon
    • Samsung Research: Steve Macenski
    • LG Electronics: Lokesh Kumar Goel
    • SwRI, representing GVSC: Jerry Towler
    • TierIV: Jilada Eccleston
    • Rover Robotics: Nick Fragale
    • Bosch: Karsten Knese
  • Preliminaries

    • [Gerkey][1 min] Please remember to fill out your contribution report (bottom of this doc)
  • Old business

  • New business

  • Recurring business

    • [Lalancette][5 mins] Updates on current and upcoming ROS 2 distro releases
    • Working groups [3-5 mins each]
      • [Knese] Control
        • Work towards the first demo with a dynamic and composable hardware API.
        • Joint Limit interface added
        • Services for Controller Manager, solution to be found for realtime executor in order to implement lock-free behavior.
      • [Speed] Edge AI
        • OpenCV presents at Oct 29th meeting to discuss the work they’re contributing to ros-perception/image_pipeline in support of its use in Autoware.Auto with ROS 2 Foxy for Indy Autonomous Challenge and F1TENTH.
        • Last two meetings cancelled because of IAC conflicts.
      • [Martin Losa] Embedded
      • [Coleman] Manipulation
        • MoveIt is officially released on Noetic
        • Improved release process and schedule for MoveIt established at 6 week intervals
        • GSoC was a big success this past summer
        • New focus on Cartesian planning capabilities, roadmap consisting of:
        • Reboot of MoveIt maintainer list (added 4, removed 3 inactive)
        • Starting work on migrating MoveIt 2 tutorials from MoveIt 1
        • Starting work on MoveIt 2 hardware demo & video this quarter
        • Collaborating with ros2_control team for hardware support
        • Adding multi-planner support
      • [Macenski] Navigation
      • [Pangercic] Real-time
        • Work is now organized with the issues https://github.com/ros-realtime/community/issues in the RTWG github community
        • Our current focus is to get the performance_test running on a dedicated HW platform (with a big help of Joe & ADLINK)
        • We had a very interesting talk by Bosch on the model-based generation of synthetic robotics applications
      • [Biggs] Safety
        • The Safety WG has grown up! We now have our own GitHub organisation, thanks to Tully.
        • We have active software projects that you can use to improve the quality and safety of your software.
        • We are working on integrating Doorstop (an open-source requirements management tool) into GitHub and GitLab for doing lightweight requirements management in OSS projects.
        • Meeting schedule is currently the first and third Wednesday of the month. Check the events calendar for details.
      • [Faber] Security
        • Revisited Move security related filesystem and env utilities outside rcl · Issue #545 · ros2/rcl
          • Some environments do not have file systems; enabling security currently requires files. Original ask was to remove security from RCL to avoid file system dependencies.
          • In order to address the broader design issue, should we consider a system-wide build flag to identify devices without file systems?
          • Specific to SROS2, consider enabling security files as a run-time variable or even built in at compile time.
        • Continuing to address issue with overly large permissions files
          • Tracking an open issue with OMG, proposal is to allow compressing permissions file.
          • Looking into uglifying files and possible other options.
        • Curated the SROS2 API to only expose limited parts to the public.
        • Meeting minutes with link to meeting recordings
      • [Blasdel] Tooling
        • Discussed RViz2 design / development - decided that until there is dedicated development resources, any design discussions are likely to go stale and not have much value
          • Though it’s an interesting discussion and a valuable project, we don’t currently have bandwidth to take on any project management there, even if we did have willing contributors
        • Deprecating some unused (only used by AWS team) Github Actions
          • action-amazon-chime
          • action-pypi
          • action-ros-ci-template
        • Upcoming breakout session to discuss “REP-2001: ROS2 Minimal C++ cross-compilable variant”
        • Planning a survey of ROS/ROS 2 CI solutions with feature comparison, to drive future potential consolidation (ros-tooling actions, industrial CI, navigation2 CircleCI, OSRF buildfarm PR runners)
      • [Woodall] Middleware
        • Agenda, notes, and recordings:
        • Discussed idea to have a single rmw implementation common to all DDS implementations using the C++ DDS API
          • There were pro/cons and caveats, see the agenda notes for details
        • Discussed idea to go straight to DDS and avoid the rmw abstraction
          • Details in agenda notes
        • Progress reports on report being generated for TSC to vote on the default rmw implementation to be used in Galactic
          • Data collection is ongoing, survey is out until Oct. 16th, will have draft ready for the working group on the 21st
        • Presentation about, and discussion of, the OMG DDS C++ PSM
        • Questions about how the tier level of rmw implementations (in REP-2000) are affected, and how to eventually replace the rmw implementation for Connext
2 Likes

Was this Sid Faber instead?

Good eye. Now fixed.