ROS Resources: Documentation | Support | Discussion Forum | Service Status | Q&A answers.ros.org

ROS 2 TSC Meeting Minutes: 2020-08-20

ROS 2 TSC Meeting Agenda 2020-08-20

  • Attendees

    • Lyle Johnson, Apex.AI
    • Jaime Martin Losa, eProsima
    • Lokesh Kumar Goel, LG Electronics
    • Aaron Blasdel, AWS RoboMaker
    • Nick Fragale, Rover Robotics
    • Dave Coleman, PickNik
    • Brian Gerkey, Chris Lalancette, Dirk Thomas, Geoff Biggs, Louise Poubel, Tully Foote, Open Robotics
    • Kyle Fazzari, Canonical
    • Joe Speed, ADLINK
    • Harold Yang, Intel
    • Steve Macenski, Samsung Research
    • Sean Yen, Microsoft
    • Karsten Knese, Bosch
    • Will Son, ROBOTIS
    • Jerry Towler, SwRI, representing GVSC
    • Jilada Eccleston, Tier IV
  • Preliminaries

    • [Gerkey][2 mins] Introduce Jilada Eccleston, new rep from Tier IV
  • Old business

  • New business

    • [Gerkey][5 mins] Review and briefly discuss proposed code of conduct.
    • [Blasdel][5 mins] Brief announcement of open sourced github-contribution-report-generator in ros-tooling
      • Example yaml workflows that we use to generate some automatic emails to our oncall about the status of our RoboMaker contributions
      • How would it make the most sense for the TSC as a whole to leverage this script? (some options to discuss)
        • Have reports generated centrally at an OSRF owned location
          • Ensures that reports are apples to apples comparisons
          • Can have a single clickthrough link in these notes instead of a massive text dump
          • TSC members would need to keep their author list upto date.
        • Add a “text dump” option to the open sourced tool and keep selve serve and at the end of these meeting notes
        • (Current) TSC members can use but have to wrestle the html in to a bulleted list at the end of the meeting notes
      • Feedback:
        • The Discourse notifications onto github are annoying for developer flows. We can look at posting it in another location to keep the detailed content. Or hide it inside a pdf.
        • Autoware links it to a separate doc from the minutes.
    • [Geoff 2 mins] Announce Autoware Foundation decision to make cyclonedds the default RMW for ROS 2 within their consortium
    • The TSC would like to have a process for selecting a default middleware
      • We’d like to delegate to the Middleware Working Group
      • We’d like them to define a process for selecting a default rmw for the next release, including evaluation criteria, and deadlines.
      • Request to Middleware Working Group: Plan document end of September, executable process by end of October, find a decision by the end of November.
        • Brian to work with William
          • Also need to get MW WG reporting to the TSC
  • Recurring business

    • Next ROS 2 distro release
      • [Lalancette][5 mins] Updates on Rolling & Galactic
        • Due to the existing of Rolling Galactic is going to have a new timeline, from the other past releases.
        • A new roadmap is expected before the next meeting
    • Working groups [5 mins each]
      • [Knese] Control
        • Multiple breakouts meetings regarding a flexible and dynamic architecture of “robot hardware” instances.
        • Making a CombinedHW more explicit by featuring individual actuators, transmissions, sensors and robotic systems.
        • Introduced a “Dynamic Joint State Message” which allows to break the triple of “position, velocity, effort” to cope with more advanced system information, e.g. current, EE-forces, etc.
        • https://github.com/ros-controls/ros2_control/pull/121 as a first PoC PR introducing new interfaces, see https://github.com/ros-controls/roadmap/pull/22 for supported use-cases
        • Next milestone: Having a first rrbot like system running in gazebo
      • [Speed] Edge AI
        • July 23rd reviewed results of the ROS user ML survey (will distribute) and planned next steps. ROS 2 YOLACT demo by Fernando Gonzalez. OAK demo and ROS 2 integration discussion with Brandon & Jon.
        • Aug 20th 3PM PDT Amit Goel and Dustin Franklin @dusty-nv discuss and demo recent NVIDIA contributions for ROS 2 and discuss their plans
        • Agendas and meeting minutes are here
      • [Martin Losa] Embedded
      • [Macenski] Navigation
      • [Johnson] Real-time
        • We have a github project https://github.com/ros-realtime/community
        • We split the work between the RTWG and Middleware Working Group
        • RTWG:
          • ROS 2 Performance testing (with an emphasis on determinism)
          • ROS 2 Execution and scheduling (with an emphasis on testing and integrating into RTOSes)
          • ROS 2 Memory allocation and blocking system call detection and tracing
          • ROS 2 Porting to RTOSes (VxWorks, QNX)
        • Middleware:
          • OS System configuration (kernel buffers and setting) as well as more generically suitable default configuration for ROS 2
          • ROS 2 rmw implementation overhead
          • ROS 2 design issues (what abstraction adds to overhead, what needs design review and changes)
          • Underlying middleware design issues and its impact on the performance
          • This also answers the question from the last TSC meeting on the follow-up of the meeting regarding ROS 2 performance limitations (Middleware WG will tackle them)
        • On Sept 1 meeting we will host a micro-ROS presentation
        • ISP in Japan is making progress on the performance testing: ROS 2 Real-time Working Group Online Meeting 18 - May 26, 2020 - Meeting Minutes
      • [Fazzari] Security
        • Having multiple nodes share a participant makes it really easy to hit a DDS parameter size limitation when it comes to enabling security. Fast DDS is working on removing this limitation, but we’re also working on making more use of wildcards to trim down policy sizes
        • Started a discussion about how to match the dynamic nature of ROS to the static nature of DDS security by utilizing the AccessControlListener
        • Started a discussion about security ramifications of global /parameter_events (sros2 doesn’t support that today)
        • Added cyclonedds to the list of RMWs that use graph info topics (allows security tests to pass)
      • [Blasdel] Tooling
        • Primary focus has been on backlog management and addressing bugs/stability issues
        • rosbag2
          • python API landed (thanks to Mabel Zhang for that)
          • work ongoing to implement performance improvements
        • Have seen a lot of interest/activity in action-ros-ci
        • Open-sourced github-contribution-report-generator
        • New dashboard at https://ros-tooling.github.io/
      • [Coleman] Manipulation

TSC Member Contribution Reporting

ROS 2 TSC Contribution Self-Report 2020-08-20.pdf (106.4 KB)

Just want to say thanks - the new Contribution Report is great for insight into what is going on in ROS2!