ROS 2 TSC Meeting Minutes 2022-11-17

ROS 2 TSC Meeting Minutes 2022-11-17

ROS 2 TSC Contribution Report 2022-11-17.pdf (169.2 KB)

  • Attendees

    • Lyle Johnson — Apex.AI
    • Bosch - Ralph Lange
    • Katherine Scott, Geoff Biggs, Tully Foote, William Woodall, Chris Lalancette - Open Robotics
    • Jerry Towler - SwRI (Representing GVSC)
    • Jeremie Deray (artivis) | Canonical
    • Foxglove - Adrian Macneil, Emerson Knapp, James Smith, Jacob Bandes-Storch, John Hurliman, Roman Shtylman
    • Brett Aldrich | Robosoft
    • Alberto Soragna - iRobot
    • Steve macensk - Samsung Research
    • Will Son - ROBOTIS
    • Angelo Corsaro, ZettaScale
    • Michael Orlov - ApexAI
    • Ian McMahon - Toyota Research Institute
    • Jaime Martin Losa - eProsima
    • Henning Kayser - PickNik
    • Andrei Kholodnyi - Wind River
    • Tim Chung - Microsoft
  • Preliminaries[Kat ][1 min] Please remember to fill out your contribution report at the bottom of this document prior to the meeting.

    • [Kat][1 min] ROSCon Videos are now live on roscon.ros.org
    • [Kat][1 min] Strawpoll:
      • Should we have an in-person TSC meeting before ROSCon 2023?
      • Would it be useful to have an all strategy and planning session for this meeting?
        • TSC Approves
        • Perhaps dinner
  • Old business

    • [Kat | 15min] ROS 2 TSC Usability Month Description
      • AKA “Spring Cleaning”
      • TL;DR – two weeks where TSC members address solely documentation, issues and outstanding pull requests for ROS 2 core. The focus will be on issues that broadly impact ROS 2 usability. Community will help guide priorities.
      • Spring Cleaning Goals
        • Feedback from the community to TSC, and demonstrate a direct impact of TSC on ROS 2 end-user experience.
        • Lighten the review / issue / bug load for maintainers.
        • Familiarize TSC with packages outside their regular work areas
        • Team building for the TSC.
      • Examples:
      • Rough outline:
        • Issues would come from community members and core maintainers.
        • Kat + assistant would do project management and deal with community input.
        • Requirement of each TSC member:
          • Two man-weeks of development / documentation
          • Two man-weeks of PR review
        • Proposed timeline: February / March 2023 such that improvements make it into the next release.
          • Chris says do it earlier
      • Open to feedback, please comment in the document.
        • William: be good to have continuity from year to year
        • Adrian / Steven – monetary staffing of specific issues.
        • Informal poll: TSC not interested
        • Action Item: Kat will keep iterating
    • [Kat | 15min] Amend community representative process.
      • Mea culpa: TSC election snuck up on me and I was incredibly busy with ROSCon. Moreover, election throws in additional complexity in at the worst possible. By the time I realized it needed to happen it was a bit too late and we were a bit too busy. I decided to do a proper job after the event.
      • Proposed makeup schedule here. Nominations start Friday.
      • TL;DR: would like the process to start about six weeks before ROSCon so I can backload the work before ROSCon, streamline the process, and add firm dates for each milestone.
      • Primary changes:
        • Only use self-nominations. Community nominations require me to track down nominees and request a lot from them. Self nominations mean candidates simply submit a packet.
        • Generally each step should take longer, about two weeks, as it can take a while for someone on the internet to see a message and respond. Similarly it can take me a few days to turn around a community submission.
        • The voting period is way too short. Most votes will be async and that requires a lot of time to spread the word.
        • Starting earlier makes it more likely that reps can attend ROSCon.
        • Aside: Condorcet voting is hard to implement. Would really like a Condorcet plugin for Discourse.
        • Brett: need to create an on-boarding document.
      • Proposed changes here: Proposed charter amendment for community elections. by kscottz · Pull Request #3190 · ros2/ros2_documentation · GitHub
      • Motion passes 18 For / (28 not members)
        • Action Item: Kat will start election
        • Action Item: Kat will draft an on-boarding document
    • [Kat | 10min] VOTE Hardware Acceleration REP-2008
      • Ian: Is this a REP or a library?
      • Chris: This is a REP with the architecture for a library to be implemented.
      • Jerry:
      • Steve: What about acceptance of draft?
        • Would like at least a second implementation.
        • NVIDIA is the sticky wicket.
        • Lyle (nice to have)
      • Proposal (16 pass)
        • Acceptance proposal
          • HAWG must vote and pass REP-2008
          • HAWG must publicly announce vote
          • HAWG must pass REP-2008 by ⅔ majority
          • Kat will oversee voting process
  • New business

  • Recurring business

    • Next ROS 2 distro release
      • Iron
        • Service introspection in progress again
        • DDS improvements still in progress
          • Finer control of discovery
          • Generate XML files
          • Large message delivery
        • Evolving messages over time in progress
        • MCAP as default for rosbag2
    • Working groups [<=5 mins each]
      • [Bence] Control
        • rqt_controller_manager available in ROS2, thx Kenji!
        • Lots of doc updates during ROSCon, thanks guys!
        • In-person WG meeting at ROSCon generated a lot of new feature ideas
        • Trying a new format to track feature dev and bugs&fixes
          • 2 github project boards that we quickly review at the start of each WG meeting
      • [Martin Losa] Embedded
        • No meeting in october because ROSCON
      • [Kayser] Manipulation
      • [Woodall] Middleware
        • No meetings since the last TSC
      • [Macenski] Navigation
        • Test Coverage Sprint to 90% across repository (current 89.33%)
        • A number of small bug fixes and synced Rolling with Humble
        • Added Savitzky-Golay Smoother plugin
        • Dynamic changing of footprint and collision polygons for Collision Monitors
        • In the midst of a relatively big upgrade to have contextual failure codes for each task server that can be used in the behavior tree or autonomy application to make more intelligent decisions
          • Thanks to Josh Wallace @ Locus Robotics for this effort
        • Adding benchmarking scripts for comparison of algorithms (planners, smoothers, controllers, et al)
        • Binary Costmap Filter addition
        • Various performance acceleration of Smac Planners
      • [Andrei] Real-Time
        • Work on the roadmap for 2023, plan to use ROS2 real-time image and to do performance measurements
      • [Andrei] meta-ros
        • A kickoff meeting was held today (Rob Woolley), 8 participants, agreed to have it monthly, discussed further steps: support matrix, maintainers list etc.
      • [Biggs] Client libraries
        • No updates this month (ROSCon)
      • [Biggs] Safety
        • No updates this month
      • [Deray] Security
        • WG meeting held on the 8th Nov - recording. Guest Michael Jeronimo from Open Robotics gave a presentation about Space ROS and the tooling developed for certification and requirements management. Followed a discussion around static code analyzers, SARIF formatting and other topics relevant to security as well.
  • [Macneil] Web

    • Dormant
  • [Orlov] Rosbag2 and Tooling WG

2 Likes