Give them a try by simply running:
docker run -it --rm ros:rolling
ROS Rolling images are currently available for the same platforms as ROS Foxy:
Ubuntu Focal: amd64 arm64v8 (aarch64)
The following tags are available for these platforms:
ros-core ros-base ros1-bridge
desktop image is available on the osrf profile (amd64 only)
To try them out:
docker run -it osrf/ros:rolling-desktop
Rolling is a peculiar distro and as such some things differ from the other ROS docker images:
- It will change base image at some point in the future and use more recent ubuntu distribution to build on
ros1-bridgeimage will likely stop being built when the base distro is upgraded (Except if there happen to be debs of it built for newer ubuntu images)
- The rebuilds on dockerhub may not follow the cadence of the rolling syncs depending on how often these happen. We’re exploring options to get images rebuilt after each sync in the future.
These images of the Rolling ROS release provide the latest packages available via apt, allowing you to use the more recent features while still using a familiar ROS environment.
If you want to live on the edge, check out the nightly docker images that will provide bleeding-edge (unstable) features.
- Please report any issue with the images on https://github.com/osrf/docker_images/issues
- Don’t forget to star our official repo so others might discover it!
- You can find the list of tags here