ROS2 client library for Julialang

Hi

I’m wondering if there are any attempts for a ROS2 client library for Julia(lang)? I very much like the concepts of Julia and would like to use it in my robotics applications. With JuliaRobotics there exist nice package for the robotics community but without ROS2 support I can’t really make use of it as I have to integrate new algorithms in an existing environment.

2 Likes

I do not have any knowledge about such package, but I would be very interested to contribute.

I was thinking of implementing one myself, but with my current schedule it’s almost impossible. This does not mean that I won’t do so in the future.

I will keep you updated, and please keep me updated too.

1 Like

I just came across this repository. Seems not too out of date but not sure about it’s current state.

1 Like

Hey Andreas, thanks for the heads up. The package seems to have some work into it, but from the examples, I can see that there are no Julia-like functions exposed for direct use but C-related stuff (ccalls and object refs). It is worth investigating though, even for a baseline.

Sorry for the necrobump, but I was wondering if there is still interest in such an endeavor.

I know that current client library efforts are being concentrated for Rust, but having Julia as a client language but make life very productive for researchers looking to quickly deploy high performant code who are not well versed in lower level languages such as C++/Rust.

I’d appreciate a Julia client lib a lot, right now there’s a lot of jumping through hoops for using an otherwise extremely productive language. Would be interested in contributing as well.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m indeed still very much interested.

Exactly because I believe, that writing code in Julia is very efficient and productive. As a robotics engineer and researcher, I would definitively appreciate the possibility to use ROS2 with Julia.

Depending on the time I have available, I’m also willing and interested to contribute.

3 Likes

In the same boat here. Would be excellent to have a Julia client library. Wonder how much functionality could be taken from the rclc C client library at least initially? Also willing in interested to contribute.