Industrial_robot_client porting to ROS2

Anyone working on porting industrial_robot_client to ROS2? If not, our team at Persistent System is ready to put the effort in porting industrial_robot_client to ROS2. Please let us know if anyone has any concern or any vital information that we will help us in this porting effort. If anyone has already started already working on porting industrial_robot_client, Please let us know if you will be interested to obtain our assistance in the porting effort.
@shaun-edwards , I see that you are the maintainer of this package in ROS, hence I’m tagging you here in this post.

Hi @prasenjitdan

within ROS-Industrial we’re very happy that community members are stepping up and want to contribute to the porting effort of packages from our GitHub organisations.

However, we’re currently setting up our roadmap and setting development goals for this inside our respective organisations and consortia.

Porting individual packages – such as industrial_msgs, industrial_robot_client and industrial_utils – is nice, but our preference currently goes to a more coordinated and cohesive effort. An ad hoc transition of just parts of our infrastructure does not really fit with our style of development.

Finally: a straight port of many of these packages may not even be that interesting and a transition to ROS 2 would seem to present a good opportunity to revisit some design decisions made in the past.

Pull requests are of course always welcome, but it would be in all our best interests to try and avoid duplication of effort. If and when we start porting we’ll make sure to reach out to you to see whether we can coordinate something.

Edit: could I also please ask you to not direct-email individual maintainers? If you’d like to start a discussion please post something in #ros-industrial and we can interact there.

1 Like

@gavanderhoorn, thanks for your response and giving me some insight of your plan on enhancement + porting of industrial_* packages. Do you have any timeline in mind when that can be accomplished so that ROS2 have all the critical packages available? If that timeline is not in near future, we can just port packages as is (if possible) and later focus on improvement. But if you have planned for it very soon, I completely agree with you that we should do both things together. As you mentioned that you are actively looking at enhancement opportunity for these packages, I’ll have my team not to focus on industrial packages at this time, but if you need longer time for enhancement, and need extra-hands to do an interim porting of the package as is to ROS2 for immediate benefit of ROS2 community without you lose your focus on enhancement, let me know so that I can have my team assist on porting.

We’ll get back to you when/if it’s appropriate.

In the meantime, you posted Simple_message porting to ROS2.

That is also a ROS-Industrial package.

Please take all ROS-Industrial packages of your to-port list for the time being as we’re sorting out the roadmap.