ROSCon 2019 Talk Idea Brainstorm

ROSCon 2019 will be happening in Macau in October. The call for proposals has been posted.

Talking at ROSCon can be very rewarding way to share your expertise and knowledge with the greater community. However, putting in a proposal to ROSCon can sometimes be intimidating because you don’t know if there are people in the community who are interested in what you’re doing.

Similar to last year, I’d like to kick off a brainstorming thread here on topics that people would like to see presented at ROSCon. Even if you won’t be able to make it to ROSCon feel free to suggest a topic: we record all videos and post them online. All of the previous years talks are linked to from the programs (2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 , 2014, 2013, 2012). With people sharing topics that they would like to learn more about I hope their posts here will inspire more people to submit talks. We have a large and diverse community and want everyone to consider sharing what they’re working on.

Note that this thread is meant to be inspiration for submissions and will not be part of the Program Committee’s review process.

Please reply to this thread to share the sort of talk that you’d like to see someone present at ROSCon this October.

Also, new for this year’s ROSCon is the inclusion of a new video format:

Videos - One new format is the video presentation, with up to 2 minutes of self-contained audio-visual content, featured alongside the talks in the program. Videos will be presented without live narration or Q/A afterward.

Guidelines:

• This is a brainstorming session.
    • Be positive.
    • There are no wrong answers. Please don’t critique others’ responses, but build upon them.
  • Keep the ideas high level.
2 Likes

Always interested to see anybody’s approach to fleet management. How is the ROS application bundled and deployed/updated to robots? How are new devices onboarded? How are these devices kept track of and monitored during operation?

6 Likes

I’m always interested in short discussions about finding ROS in weird places.

For example, a colleague of mine applied to a ROS job at a pinball manufacturer that was using ROS to control all the components of the pinball machines, which you know can vary wildly by game so really nice use of portability.

4 Likes

Another one that would be great for someone at OR to address would be the state of all the DDS vendors.

I’ve seen and heard many issues with all of them and it would be great to understand where they all stand and what the path forward is with the 3 majorly supported implementations. It’s hard to recommend other companies or research groups to move over to ROS2 right now if the core implementations don’t seem to be stably working