Rosconsole for ROS2

Hi @dirk-thomas,

Can you please share us rosconsole porting status to ROS2? Is it already ported to ROS2? As communicated with you over the email, Our team at Persistent System is willing to extend help in porting rosconsole package to ROS2. Will you be ok if we start testing of your package once ported?

Thanks,
Dan

There is no porting status on that package. Any kind of effort for porting functionality like this is either covered by the roadmap or an existing ticket. If it is listed in neither of these places there is simply nothing to report.

That package is also highly specific to how ROS 1 does logging. It is extremely unlikely it will be ported. It is more likely that functionality provided by that package is being implemented in ROS 2 at some point.

So if you are interested in making these features available in ROS 2 I would suggest to create a ticket in the ros2 repository describing the exact feature(s) and how you plan to implement them. That will enable early feedback on the approach.

@dirk-thomas, thanks for the clarification. As you mentioned over email, features provided by Rosconsole in ROS1, might already exist in ROS2 through some other package. As time permits, we will verify the features that Rosconsole provides in ROS1 and based on finding, we will take further determination on porting / development effort. I hope, you are ok with this approach.

@dirk-thomas , We have ported rosconsole package in ROS2 with all existing functionality available in ROS.
So, we need to have ros2 branch for rosconsole to give PR.
Also, Please suggest any other approach for logging required in/for ROS2.

1 Like

As mentioned above similar functionality (eventually partially) might already exist so I am not sure what a “port of rosconsole” means in this case.

I don’t think a ros2 branch in the rosconsole repo makes any sense since I don’t see where there would be any code shared between the functionality in ROS 1 and ROS 2 due to their different design in this area. Please share you changes somehow to allow others to take a look.

My previous suggestion still stands:

I would suggest to create a ticket in the ros2 repository describing the exact feature(s) and how you plan to implement them. That will enable early feedback on the approach.