Magna Corporate R&D in Troy, MI is seeking a talented, visionary and self-motivated Senior Robotic Software Engineer to be a part of and help create the Advanced Robotics Group, which will create new automation solutions that improve overall system efficiencies through the use of advanced robotic technologies. The ideal candidate will have deep experience with theoretical approaches and practical software implementations of machine vision and image analysis, tactile perception, and sensor fusion techniques for task automation. The ideal candidate will be working in a culture that fosters creativity and problem solving. This position will play a key part in the Advanced Robotics Group, and be a part of a tightly knit development team to help creating advanced manufacturing solutions for the future.
• Develop novel algorithms that can be broadly applied to a variety of advanced robotic applications.
• Design and implement object recognition, advanced motion planning and grasping software for next generation robotic systems.
• Integrate software systems & subsystems with different perception technologies and application (intern & extern) & academia teams.
• Evaluate and identify improvements to software system designs with specific focus on robotics.
• Develop and maintain high level of communications with cross-functional team, and partners.
• Interface with cross-functional engineering, product management, and/or program management to drive new product development programs from concept to production.
• Utilize software development and process tools for requirements management, architecture and design, modeling, simulation, testing, and configuration management and release management.
• Assist root cause analysis and corrective action for software components and products, and warranty issues.
• Attend functional training and technical conferences to learn new tools and methodologies and keep up to date on market and technical trends.
• Mentor, instruct and lead other engineers.
• Practice and maintain integrity while following Magna’s Charter and Constitution.
• Create and strive a positive work environment by demonstrating and sharing functional and technical knowledge.
• Promote and seek excellence in all aspects of the business.
• Comply with the designated ISO / TS 16949 responsibilities, Health &Safety (H&S) rules and practices, Magna policies, procedures and practices.
• Treat everyone with dignity, trust and respect.
• Perform any other assignments from time-to-time as management so directs.
Health & Safety responsibilities:
• Involved in accident / incident investigation progress
• Conducts safety talks with employees
• Trains new employees
• Corrects unsafe acts and conditions
• Corrects and commends Health & Safety performance
• Attend subject related conferences and technical talks
Knowledge and Education
• BS/MS/PhD in Robotics or equivalent engineering discipline with appropriate coursework focus
• Creative and self-motivating with the ability to understand and divide a vision into prioritized tasks.
• Strong experience in developing multithreaded object oriented software for robotics or closely related industry.
• Broad exposure to embedded control systems, mechanical, and electrical design and development practices including common engineering tools used for such efforts with detailed knowledge and expertise in at least two of the areas.
• Ability to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and effective ways.
• Provide the customer and company-wide perspective to detailed technical decisions.
• Ability to work on challenging assignments with aggressive schedules.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in C++ and Python in ROS environment.
• Experienced in industrial robotic control systems and the interfaces.
• Experienced in hardware and software system integration, such as integration of new sensors, actuators and/or robotic manipulator into an existing system.
• Understanding of PLC, networking protocols and technologies.
• Experience with automated build and test and/or test driven development.
• Excellent written (white papers) and oral communication skills.
• Experience in requirements gathering and writing specifications as they relate to both functionality and performance of software.
• Experience in architecting and planning the design of software.
• Experience with Services Oriented Architecture (SOA).
• Exposure to MySQL database and XML programming.
• Understanding of Machine Learning, Machine Perception and/or Big Data.
• Readiness to travel 50% international & domestic annually.
Skills and Competencies
• English or German: Fluent
• Proficient in Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)