Space ROS Community Working Group Meeting

Subsequent meetings . I Will love to do the recording ,if I get to attend the meetings.

2 Likes

Be there or be square.

1 Like

Sure. I will be there.

Hopefully the schedule is decided so we can have calendar invites! Interesting working group meeting!

I’m super excited to see this happening, can’t wait to join the meeting!

Exciting to see this interest!

Reminder that his meeting is tomorrow at the updated time of 1pm PST

1 Like

Thanks Dave,

Noted and in my calendar

Regards

Mark

Thanks .Dave .

Noted!

10pm CET :slight_smile: See you there!

Will these meetings also have shared minutes/notes like some of the other WGs?

Please email austin.probe@emergentspace.com to let me know if you want to volunteer for the TSC

2 Likes

Thanks, Everyone for attending. We’ll be posting notes (and maybe @Katherine_Scott can post the recording)

3 Likes

hello!

do we have the recording yet?

I could not attend last night (where I am) but would like to catch up.

Kind Regards,
Alexey

You can find a recording of the working group on our Vimeo account.

The video should be available shortly.

3 Likes

Below are the minutes from the meeting:

The event was attended by over 65 people with representatives from PickNik, Maxar, Gitai, Wind River, Rogue Space, Emergent, Acceleration Robotics, Motiv Space Systems, SwRI, Open Robotics, Aerovironment, Intermodalics, TRACLabs, Mission Control Space Services, SDLE, Canonical, Object Computing, Migeran, Microsoft, LAAS CNRS, Blue Origin, Triplelift, Red Canyon, ESA, Near Space Labs, Wason Technology, KBR, and many others.

After a brief intro by PickNik CEO Dave Coleman, Josh Mehling (NASA STMD Principal Technologist for Robotics) spoke about how NASA wants to facilitate the existence of Space ROS. NASA is a big supporter of broader ROS use. Evan Laske from NASA JSC echoed Josh’s sentiment and is excited about the potential to advance dexterous manipulation for space applications.

Terry Fong, Director of the Intelligent Robotics Group at the NASA Ames Research Center, spoke next. Terry has been advocating for ROS in space as early as 2013 (!). Terry articulated NASA’s point of view which is focused on trying to push robotics into space in ways that are (1) faster in terms of development, (2) interoperable, and (3) lowering the barrier to entry. He has seen the big impact ROS has had terrestrially. It is important for NASA to hear that it’s not just a few people inside of NASA who are interested in Space ROS. NASA needs to see Space ROS become a self-sustaining community that does not die the instant NASA stops funding it. NASA has a system engineering risk management process to minimize the chance of having ``a bad day,‘’ but this very expensive and time consuming.

Next, Steven! Ragnarök, Robotics Software Engineer at Open Robotics, gave a quick review of the work that Open Robotics has done so far on Space ROS. They have spun up the initial Space ROS infrastructure, and the sync between SpaceROS and ROS 2 Humble. Some of the changes are linting related, but a lot of changes went upstream (in ROS 2). Steven clarified that OSRF manages github access to space-ros repositories. The new Space ROS website can be found at https://space.ros.org.

Sean Kolk from PickNik talked about how ITAR might affect Space ROS and the value of Space ROS outside of the US to, e.g., ESA. He also mentioned the joint response that PickNik and Open Robotics submitted to the NASA RFI Strategic Technology Framework “EXPLORE&LAND Thrusts”, which advocates for further development of Space ROS.

Dave Coleman, CEO at PickNik, talked about our plans for Space MoveIt, a flight-ready version of MoveIt that is built on top of Space ROS. PickNik is committed to Space ROS and is in the process of establishing a Technical Steering Committee to help guide its development.

Austin Probe from Emergent Space Technologies did some initial work on Space ROS under a NASA contract. However, their work on Space ROS is mostly ITAR-covered and he is still determining how to transition some of this work to the open source community.

Ivan Perez (NASA / KBR) talked about the software runtime monitoring / verification tools that he has been working on that can be used to get Space ROS flight certified: OGMA and copilot. Anastasia Mavridou (NASA Ames) mentioned requirements tools like FRET that are a useful component of the validation and verification process.

Stephen Hart mentioned some of the work that TRACLabs has done to create interoperability between ROS 2 and cFS (core Flight System).

The meeting ended with PickNik discussing the formation of a working group to meet together and start pushing this initiative forward, and Emergent saying they also have some ideas for setting up a Technical Steering Committee which we will all discuss more on very soon.

9 Likes

Hi Austin, I sent you an email, please check your inbox. I’m looking for ways to contribute either via the TSC or other ways.

Matt

Thanks for coordinating Austin. I look forward to help coordinate all the efforts working on this endeavor.

1 Like

Great initiative. Any idea when will be the next meet? I would like to join as well.

Thank you for tuning in, everyone. I’ve opened a topic for informal feedback on what you are looking for to take the next step with SpaceROS here:

SpaceROS Community Interest

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.