Square Robot is looking for a passionate and experienced Robotics Software Tech Lead to join our small and hands-on team in Marlborough, MA. You’ll serve as the cornerstone of project execution, bridging the gap between concept and completion. Entrusted with the responsibility of driving projects to their finish lines, you’ll combine strong technical prowess with leadership acumen. You’ll steer the onboard robot software engineering team, ensuring alignment with project goals, and constantly delivering quality results.
This position is hybrid with 2 days per week in-office at our Marlborough, MA headquarters and 3 days of work-from-home.
- Write, test, and document robotics application software in C/C++, Python, and ROS
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of relevant technologies and best practices.
- Review and validate code, ensuring it meets company standards
- Recommend technical strategies and improvements to enhance system performance and reliability.
- Troubleshoot and provide solutions for complex technical issues.
- Guide, mentor, and support the engineering team in technical and project-related challenges.
- Foster a collaborative environment, ensuring clear communication among team members.
- Drive the team towards project milestones and deliverables.
- Address conflicts, ensuring they are resolved constructively and promptly.
- Lead the development and enhancement of our onboard robot software.
- Ensure projects adhere to timelines, specifications, and quality standards.
- Address and resolve any technical bottlenecks or challenges promptly.
- Collaborate with project stakeholders to refine requirements and expectations.
- Coordinate with other departments to ensure smooth integration and deployment of tools and services.
- Coordinate and take part in test events and join Field Engineers on occasional tank inspections.
- 8+ years of professional robotics software engineering experience working with mobile platforms
- 2+ years of experience leading technical projects and teams
- Expert proficiency in ROS, C++, Python, and Shell Scripts in a Linux environment
- Deep understanding of robotic systems and related technologies
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Robotics, Software, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- Understanding of DevOps tools and best practices
- Effective communication and leadership skills, with the ability to collaborate cross-functionally and articulate complex technical concepts
- Proactive, self-directing, and good at estimating effort
- Knowledgeable in software engineering best practices
- Excellent visual and verbal communication skills
- Experience with marine robotics such as Remotely Operated Vehicles or Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (ROV/AUV).
- Experience developing error-tolerant software drivers for hardware devices
- Experience with any of the following: SLAM, mobile robot navigation, 3-dimensional path planning, obstacle avoidance, controls
- Experience with the development of web-based user interfaces
- Familiarity with firmware development
If you feel like the position is a good match and would like to learn more, please send a resume to: