Vehicle Interface Working Group Meeting 4

@Antonis_Skardasis has asked me to schedule the next meeting of the Vehicle Interface Working Group. Friday seemed to work well for the members but we are a little behind so this Friday seems a bit rushed for scheduling. Here are a couple options for times:

Option 1:

San Francisco Monday, 12 August 2019, 07:00:00 PDT
Chicago Monday, 12 August 2019, 09:00:00 CDT
Washington DC Monday, 12 August 2019, 10:00:00 EDT
London Monday, 12 August 2019, 15:00:00 BST
Barcelona Monday, 12 August 2019, 16:00:00 CEST
Tokyo Monday, 12 August 2019, 23:00:00 JST

Option 2:

San Francisco Friday, 16 August 2019, 07:00:00 PDT
Chicago Friday, 16 August 2019, 09:00:00 CDT
Washington DC Friday, 16 August 2019, 10:00:00 EDT
London Friday, 16 August 2019, 15:00:00 BST
Barcelona Friday, 16 August 2019, 16:00:00 CEST
Tokyo Friday, 16 August 2019, 23:00:00 JST

Please let me know which works best for you. Feel free to join the meeting as a new member but existing members are @esteve, @Lee_Baldwin, @Antonis_Skardasis, Christopher Ho (Apex.ai), and @wep21.

Since there hasn’t been much response (I know some were out on holiday) and the first date has already passed, I’m going to make an executive decision to move forward with this Friday, August 16th, as our meeting date. See above for relevant times. The conference line information will be posted shortly.

Google Hangouts link for meeting: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/calendar/bWF4aW11czU2ODRAZ21haWwuY29t.3rstofq7belnr7dinm361sfr3c?authuser=0

Please let me know if this link does not work. See you all soon!

Notes from the meeting on 20190816:

Attendees:

• Geoffrey Biggs (Tier IV)
  • Antonis Skardasis (StreetDrone)
  • Josh Whitley (AutonomouStuff)

Geoffrey started the meeting by creating a discussion on the scope of the group. Different vehicle manufacturers/companies are interested in having different levels of output from Autoware, all the way from a simple path to follow (GPS waypoints) provided directly to the vehicle interface, down to individual CAN commands. The group should design an architecture which is able to accommodate this.

Josh created a simple diagram which outlines a possible implementation of nodes which would handle the input of a geometry_msgs/Twist command (in autoware.ai, this is currently provided in an autoware_msgs/VehicleCmd) for vehicle control down to producing individual CAN commands for a specific vehicle. Given the discussion with Geoffrey about the scope, we may need to traverse the stack a bit higher, going up to the output of waypoints to be followed.

It was agreed upon by those present that providing a survey to the Working Group members about their specific vehicles and the required inputs, outputs, and necessary level of control would be very helpful in determining the scope of the committee’s efforts.

Further meetings will be scheduled on a 2-week basis. Since Antonis will be out most of August and the beginning of September, the next meeting will likely be September 10th.

Action Item (Josh Whitley): Develop survey to distribute to members about supported vehicles. Distribute no later than August 23rd so members have plenty of time to respond before the next meeting.
Action Item (Antonis Skardasis): Create recurring calendar item for meetings and distribute to members.

1 Like