Ready to help revolutionize robotics with AI & ML? Yaskawa Innovation, in Austin TX, is the R&D arm of Yaskawa in the US - the second largest industrial robot maker on the planet, selling hundreds of thousands of robots. We are seeking talented people to help us make industrial robots truly smart. Involving deep representation learning, vision, RL and real-time control, including 3D physical simulation at-scale. Experience in ML and/or AI or postgrad degree required (Master; CS/CSE or Engineering or Cog Sci with good Math/Stats or equivalent experience). Robotics & ROS experience preferred. This will involve not only research but developing and bringing to market products that will be deployed internationally. If that sounds interesting to you, please reach out for further details or apply!
(David Jung - firstname.lastname@example.org)
Official HR listing is available at:
and is reproduced below.
Requisition Number: ROBOT01616
Yaskawa Innovation is seeking a talented computer scientist or engineer to work on development of next generation artificial intelligence software and technologies for Yaskawa robots. In this role, you will be joining an innovative development team that works on a variety of products including user interfaces, middleware, control algorithms, communication interfaces, and IoT integration software.
Yaskawa Innovation, based in Austin, is an entrepreneurial team of people responsible for cutting edge innovation in robotics. This is a position with global impact at Yaskawa, which is one of the world’s largest makers of robotic and motion control products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Design, develop and a maintain robotics application testbed, including sensors, industrial manipulator robot hardware, and application software infrastructure. Work closely with engineering support on hardware items and engage with pilot customers to understand application requirements.
· Majority of the time spend on software development tasks related to proving out application improvements using AI technologies on the application testbed.
· Work closely with Japanese counterparts through online meetings, detailed engineering and design documents, shared development infrastructure.
· Development and use of cloud-hosted robotics simulation environment with associated machine-learning workloads at-scale
· Contribute to challenging AI tasks involving representation learning, vision and real-time control with aim of maturation for productization impacting field robotics applications
· Stay current with emerging technologies and techniques in AI/ML and robotic applications
· Work in a close-knit team where good interpersonal skills, open exchange of information, and team work is a must.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Master of Science or BS Engineering degree, 6-8 years experience in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Computer Systems Engineering, Cognitive Science, Statistics or related fields; with specialization in Machine Learning, Data Science or Artificial Intelligence
· Advanced mathematics skills: Linear Algebra, Bayesian Statistics, Numerical Methods
· Strong expertise in C or C++ or Java and Python required. ROS experience preferred.
· Prefer applied ML experience: ANNs, RNNs, Reinforcement learning, Graphical Models, HMMs and common techniques such as VAEs, CNNs, seq2seq, GANs, Transformers, Q-Learning
· Prefer experience with Deep Learning frameworks, such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, Keras, MXNet, SciKit-Learn
· Software Engineering and/or Agile methodology experience preferred
· Experience with 3D simulation, Robotics and Cloud ML services a plus
· Knowledge of control theory and/or systems neuroscience (motor, vision) a plus
· Portfolio of projects (GitHub, papers, etc.) a plus
· PhD preferred
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must be highly creative and logical, with the ability to transform innovative process and technical concepts into practical, cost-effective robotic automation solutions. Good verbal and written communication skills are essential, in addition to the ability to make formal presentations and publish technical papers and magazine articles. Must have good interpersonal skills in order to work effectively with people at all organizational and functional levels.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may work near moving mechanical parts and where there may be risk of electrical shock.
Motoman is an EEO employer of minorities/females/disabled/veterans
Innovative: Consistently introduces new ideas and demonstrates original thinking
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Team Player: Works well as a member of a group
Entrepreneurial Spirit: Inspired to perform well by an ability to drive new ventures within the business
Self-Starter: Inspired to perform without outside help