I would like to discuss developing the initial Use Cases for HD Maps scenarios the AW Map WG proposed, and the requirements based cases from last meeting, into a functional description of the use cases - starting to define what functions a map API would need in order to realise the use cases.
As part of defining requirements for an HD map API it is also useful to think about the minimal performance levels we assume from other AD modules. The purpose of an HD maps is support the perception, decision making and motion planning of AVs and although we would like to define a best case HD map, it must be made with respect to a minimal level of performance of an AV and its AD modules.
So I propose for each use case scenario list 1) any assumptions we are making about the AD systems , and 2) the functional requirements.
First off, focusing on Valet Parking, and in extension to the general AD challenge.
The general use cases/requirements of HD map were determined to be (please add any):
Valet Parking: Use cases
- Driving according to traffic light
- General traffic signs perception and use for regulation
- Stop lines and required behavior, links to other elements
- Detection of pedestrians in crosswalk regions
- Definition of drivable areas, their regulations, associated regulatory elements
- Planning (route, lane, local)
- Parking in a given parking location
Requirements for traffic light use case:
- camera based traffic light detection module requiring image region of interest of traffic lights linked to a given lane
- Functional Requirements
- Given poses along current path (range?) return lane/lanes which will be travelled
- Given a lane return any associated traffic lights
- Get 3D geometry of traffic lights (point,polygon)
- Project 3D geometry into 2D camera plane (map function? support query?)
- For a specific traffic light, return stop line.
- For a stop line, return related traffic lights if any?
Any thoughts on this (it’s just a starting point for discussion), or on any of the use cases, or on the requirements process in general?
past work on defining use cases:
and their requirements: