Can we fix rsync for packages.ros.org

Yes I know you want people to use apt-mirror but I can’t. I need to run a mirror on a production machine that is CentOS based and has tight restrictions. This mirror uses rsync to mirror third party repositories. This is efficient and trusted.

I can rsync all parts of ros.org except for the packages because the packages directory is a link that is not followed by the rsync server. You can test this using the command: rsync -azv rsync.osuosl.org::ros/packages.ros.org/ros/ubuntu /tmp/ros

I have made a request to osuosl.org to fix this since all their other hosted projects support rsync but they have implied that the server is controlled by OSRF. So can you guys fix this?

1 Like

We saw your request and are working with OSUOSL to turn on support for accessing the ftp repository via the osuosl rsync interface for your use case.

1 Like

Thanks Tully, this will be really great!

Has there been progress on this? I was hoping this would be resolved with a configuration file change.

We’ve made the request but I haven’t heard an ETA from OSUOSL for resolving the error. I don’t know if it’s a matter of changing a config or if all the files will need to be shuffled.

@tfoote: would you perhaps have an update on this rsync-related topic as well?

Similar to @boilerbots, my university’s mirror admins (TU Delft) prefer (require) rsync as it integrates with the rest of the mirroring infrastructure (Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, etc). Hence the question.

Edit: should this thread be moved to the Mirrors category btw?

Good idea. Bumped

The endpoints were setup cleanly.

rsync.osuosl.org::ros-main

and

rsync.osuosl.org::ros-testing

now host the main and shadow-fixed repos via rsync.

Thanks. I’ll let our admins know.