This post is to discuss the definition of data recording feature for Autoware.Auto, which comes from the epic on the Gitlab.
First of all, I want to figure out the purpose(what, when, what for) of the data recording feature.
After that, we’ll discuss “how to” and “where to” record the data.
I have shortly studied the definition of the existing EDRs(Event Data Recorders), and EDR-AD(Event Data Recorder for Autonomous Driving) which has been proposed recently.
For example, the definition of EDRs by the US government is as below.
- Some data related to vehicle dynamics(Delta–V, Speed, Engine throttle, Service brake, Steering input, ABS activity, etc) and driver’s safety status(Safety belt status, Frontal airbag deployment, etc)
- Roughly -5sec to +300ms relative to the crash impact
- Post-crash investigations and for analysis of safety equipment performance
The definition of EDR-AD by CLEPA is as below.
- Generic events(Event type, Timestamp, Location) in AD system for driving log or testing
- The same data as EDRs for crash event
- Additional data related to rule violations(driving manoeuvers, Camera images, GPS time/ position, AD active state) for malfeasance event
- While AD system activated for driving log or testing
- Roughly -30sec to +10sec relative to the crash event
- When AD system detect any rule violations for malfeasance event
- Disculpation/Exoneration of the driver in case of infringements (including non-accident events)
- Accident situation: if AD system was activated
- Product liability, product monitoring obligation, quality assurance and product development for OEMs and suppliers.
- Supply of factual data for legal proof.
I think the concept of EDR-AD is a good example for us to discuss the data recording feature in Autoware.Auto. So I am thinking to break down the required data elements and map them to data in Autoware.Auto. However, I just hit a basic question.
- Should we assume that a generic EDR is already equipped on the vehicle?
If yes, synchronization between the data recorded in the EDR the one in Autoware.Auto would be the key point.
If no, this feature should contain all features of EDR-AD(including generic EDR).
Does anyone have an answer to it? Any other suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.
The following links would be helpful for reference.
- 49 CFR Part 563.
- Discussion Paper on Event Data Recorders for Automated Driving (EDR/AD), CLEPA, 2016
- In-vehicle data recording, storage and access management in autonomous vehicles, Viktoras Kabir Veitas and Simon Delaere, 2018
- Working Group 6 Access to in-vehicle resources and data, C-ITS Platform, 2015
- Black Block Recorder: Immutable Black Box Logging via rosbag2 and DLTs, Ruffin White and Gianluca Caiazza (will be presented on ROSCon2019)