Gazebo Community meeting: Maritime simulations (Novermber 2022)

Crossposting from the gazebosim Community. We’ll talk about maritime simulations in the next Gazebo Community meeting. We’ll also touch message standardization.

Please, join us!

3 Likes

I was wondering if some benchmark simple simulation environment exsists, similar to turtlebot, but then for ros maritime usecases.

It could be a single node simulation which has simple forms of main features that are relevant for maritime control, such as thruster dynamics, thrust allocation modules, simple hydrodynamic behaviour (e.g. state space model with linear dampening and added mass).

I’m looking for such a tool to provide to colleagues that want to work with my robotic ships, such that they can play around with vessel controls in a real time ROS context to prepare them to deal with the real system. It could really help them to get to know certain aspects of ROS, real time control, and deal with vessel control theory in their own pace.

I made a ros package that does this myself, but I expect one that has been adopted by a wider community (such as turtlebot does for generic ros tutorials) can result in something nicer.

Any thought on this are welcome. (also directions on where to ask this question if this does not reach the right audience)