My name is Jeroen, and I’m interested in contributing to MoveIt this summer. I’m currently pursuing a PhD in motion planning, have used MoveIt extensively for robot manipulators and have some experience with C++. I also worked on a MoveIt kinematics plugin that wraps the excellent analytical inverse kinematics implementation opw kinematics.
I would love to work on a project based on both “Cartesian Planning improvements” and “TrajOpt Integration” from the suggestion page.
Motion planning with general end-effector constraints in MoveIt
(Where did the exclamation mark go? )
The high-level goal is to improve the interface to do path planning on robot manipulators with general end-effector constraints. This includes:
- Integration with OMPL’s constrained planning capabilities.
- Integration with Descartes.
- Integration with Trajopt. And possibly extending the TrajOpt interface to support more general end-effector constraints, not only through weights on the twist vector.
- Moving the Cartesian planner out of RobotState and into a more appropriate location, e.g. moveit_planners.
- Refactor code to share common components of the different planners.
Example applications that can benefit from these improvements ar robotics welding, grinding, painting and many more.
All of the above is possibly a little bit too ambitious, but this is my first order approximate of a proposal.
Update: proposal with timeline
Feel free to comment on my proposal in this Google doc file.