How to handle ROS skeptics

I find that people get extremely upset whenever I suggest replacing the software and hardware they have been using for years, with lots of invested time and grant money. The beauty of ROS 2 is that it can work with proprietary software like Labview and Matlab. That could give users an intermediate step of continuing to use some of the front-end software they have developed while using ROS to connect all of the heterogeneous pieces of the larger system. Then when they become comfortable with that step, perhaps they will be more willing to jump into the open source world fully. Some people might never want to give up their GUI worlds and proprietary software, but at least the software and communities can still work together instead of being forced to pick sides.

You are right @Katherine_Scott I think there is a tipping point approaching with open access journals and open source hardware and software in academia and science. Even very wealthy universities cannot pay the fees for every journal out there and even very wealthy labs with academic discounts have a difficult time buying National Instruments hardware and software for all of their research. The organization I work for is very interested in pushing for open access journals and I am hoping to persuade them to make the same push for open source software and hardware in academia and science.

I completely agree, I think that we, as community that has a little more knowledge and/or interesting for this code and technology stuffs should push some initiatives take into consideration theses another communities as biologists, neuroscientists and so on and doing things, let’s say, as β€œβ€ for dummies β€œβ€ as possible. In that way, this people, will be more motivated to get into the open source community.

1 Like