Introducing a New RVIZ2 Plugin for Displaying Vision_msgs in ROS 2 Humble

Are you looking for an easy and efficient way to display object detection data in ROS 2 humble[1]? If so, I have some exciting news for you! We have just released a new RVIZ2 plugin that can help you visualize vision_msgs in a visually appealing and informative way.

My RVIZ2 plugin is easy to use and comes with several useful features that can help ROS 2 users save time and effort when working with object detection data. Here’s a brief overview of the features you can expect:

• Detection3DArray
    • Display ObjectHypothesisWithPose/score
    • Change color based on ObjectHypothesisWithPose/id [car: orange, person: blue, cyclist: yellow, motorcycle: purple, other: grey]
    • Visualization properties
      • Alpha
      • Line or Box
      • Linewidth
      • Change color map based on provided yaml file
  • Detection3D
    • Display ObjectHypothesisWithPose/score
    • Change color based on ObjectHypothesisWithPose/id [car: orange, person: blue, cyclist: yellow, motorcycle: purple, other: grey]
    • Visualization properties
      • Alpha
      • Line or Box
      • Linewidth
      • Change color map based on provided yaml file
  • BoundingBox3D
    • Alpha
    • Line or Box
      Since no header in vision_msgs/BonudingBox visualizations uses rviz fixed frame for tf transformation
    • Linewidth
  • BoundingBox3DArray
    • Alpha
    • Line or Box
    • Linewidth

To help you understand how the plugin works, I’ve included some screenshots below:

As you can see, the RVIZ2 plugin can help you analyze object detection data with ease. The ability to adjust the display properties, change color maps, and choose between line or box displays can help you gain better insights into your algorithms and streamline your workflow.

To get started with the RVIZ2 plugin, simply clone my repository and follow the instructions in the README. Here’s the link to my GitHub repository:

Please note that my repository is my development branch for the things that got merged into ros-perception/vision_msgs release repository, and that the RVIZ2 plugin will also be available for download via the package manager with the next release cycle of the ROS. You can also install the plugin from here or here.

I hope you find my RVIZ2 plugin useful in your work with ROS 2 humble. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below. Thank you for your support!

1. As pointed out here it should work starting from Galactic. ↩︎

18 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.