Is Turtlebot the right platform for us?

This is a strong way of going about it. Getting your hands dirty inside a simulator can go far with ROS. I always shy away from telling people to go straight to hardware unless they have algorithms already written in sim that they want to see happen in real life too.

I plan on using the simulator first if only because I donā€™t have the hardware yet. And if I learn enough (and the shipping date slips) I might build my current target robot. I will, of course, practice by simulating it first.

Is is possible to use the simulator to simulate a target-rich-environment, erā€¦ I mean a room crowded with fragile people and furniture?

Interesting comment because Iā€™m wrestling with that decision. I just finished a project that used simulation. Now that itā€™s wrapped up I donā€™t know whether to go back to my hardware robot or work in simulation. I like seeing stuff happen but the simulation is easier to work with.

Thereā€™s always intricacies that happen when porting to a real robot after working in sim, depending on the data/algorithm/problem being solved. But I find that is best dealt with by allocating enough time in your project when you switch over from sim to hardware.

Hardware just gets so tedious at times. You have to plug the robot in, ssh into it, make sure it boots, make sure ubuntu is acting fine, perhaps make it switch networks etc etc. Sim is like alright, roslaunch gazebo and my robot system is up and functional, back to writing my program/testing my program.

Testing things on a real robot is also time consuming as well, you have to wait for real actuation, perhaps your robot powers off or the network goes down etc.

Anyways, Iā€™m a hard advocate for that. Weā€™ve kind of gotten off topic here and OP said he was satisfied with the responses and wants to open a new thread. So, that being said. Good chat folks. Iā€™m out.

1 Like

Hi Routiful

Some qns:

1. why does the waffle need 2 sensors are there any differences in their roles?
  2. can I install 2 more dynamixel actuators to boost the speed and payload of the turtlebot3?
  3. I read somewhere there are only 3x RS485 ports in the OpenCr. How many dynamixel can the OpenCr controls?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Hello @ian :slight_smile:

Nice to see you again!

1. Yes. these two sensors have similar functions. (but its have adv and dis adv) Some users used to camera and others prefer Lidar. So they can use both or one of them what they purpose.

2. Of course. You can attach more dynamixel to TB3.

3. dynamixel used TTL and RS-485 communication and it supports daisy chain . So you can connect it over twenty motors.

Thanks
Darby

Thanks Darby.

If i buy the Burger. What cable do I need to buy to daisy chain 2 more XL430 Dynamixel?

The advertised payload for burger is 15kg. If i add 2 more will the payload to 30kg?

Thanks Darby.

If i buy the Burger. What cable do I need to buy to daisy chain 2 more XL430 Dynamixel?

The advertised payload for burger is 15kg. If i add 2 more will the payload to 30kg?

Hi @ian :slight_smile:

You can buy cable on ROBOTIS Store (America or International)

In my opinion, TB3 burger has four Dynamixels canā€™t make double payload. How about purchasing several Waffle plate? Then you can make large base for more payload like Waffle.

Thanks
Darby