New Tier 1 RMW implementation for RTI Connext DDS

Hello ROS 2 users!

I am really happy to announce the availability in Rolling of rmw_connextdds, a new Tier 1 RMW implementation for RTI Connext DDS, developed and maintained by RTI in collaboration with the ROS 2 community.

rmw_connextdds improves the performance of ROS 2 applications running on top of RTI Connext DDS, by removing bottlenecks that were present in the “wrapper code” of the RMW layer. It also adds a few improvements related to QoS configuration and wire interoperability.

The package is now available in Rolling, in binary form for Linux users, and as buildable source for macOS and Windows.

rmw_connextdds supports any recent version of RTI Connext DDS, starting from 5.3.1 (used to build the Debian binary package), up to, and including, the most recent 6.0.1 release.

Starting from Galactic, this new implementation will replace rmw_connext_cpp, which will continue to be supported in Foxy and earlier releases. Users will also be able to continue to use rmw_connext_cpp with Galactic by building it from source.

Full disclosure: I am the main developer and maintainer of rmw_connextdds. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions or direct feedback.

EDIT: edited link to point to correct repository.

8 Likes

@asorbini_rti

great news :exclamation: thank you very much for your effort :smiley:

1 Like

Are there any plans to release Debian binary packages using the most recent 6.0.1 release or an ETA for installable debians of the community version of Connext v6 to streamline user installation?

Thank you for your efforts.

1 Like

We ran out of time before Galactic to switch the binary releases to Connext 6. It’s definitely something we want to do for H-Turtle.

2 Likes