Outdoor autonomous delivery robot powered by ROS 2

Hi all,

We released the last-mile delivery robot. Autonomous driving robots in the outdoors are difficult to test due to various regulations, but we can now go outside the world with permission from the Korean government.

image_readtop_2019_1063820_15767165004019813

“Under the latest regulatory exemption, an autonomous driving robot developed by Korean robot manufacturer ROBOTIS. will be allowed to operate on sidewalks along with pedestrians starting next year. Under the current law, outdoor self-driving robots are categorized as “vehicles” thus cannot run on sidewalks or crosswalks but only on roads. The government, however, allowed an exemption for the delivery robot given the fact that its maximum speed is only 1.5 kilometers per hour, which is too slow to run on roads with other vehicles.” -PulseNews -

https://pulsenews.co.kr/view.php?year=2019&no=1063820

This robot was developed to deliver goods and food along the sidewalk outdoors, with the know-how of the previous development of the TurtleBot 3. The robot uses ROS 2, so we are happy to share this wonderful news with our ROS community.

The TV news below contains official permission from the government for outdoor delivery robots, unfortunately in Korean. :smile:

자율주행 로봇 인도 달리고…자율주행 버스 첫 손님 태우고 - SBS Biz

#ROBOTIS #DeliveryRobot #GoROS TurtleBot ros2

39 Likes

축하합니다! that it awesome.

1 Like

Congratulations release outdoor autonomous delivery and certified robot sandbox. Brilliant job being made!

2 Likes

Great job! I hope to see it soon in the street :grin:

2 Likes

Congratulations, Great Job!!!
if i may, whichi ROS2 version is used for? dashing?

3 Likes

Hi, Tomoya
We have used various ROS 2 versions. We use the latest version for development and testing, but we use the LTS version for our formal services. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Pyo

got it, thanks for the quick response!

2 Likes

Do y’all have any videos of the product out in the field? I would love to see some candid shots of how you put it all together.

1 Like

@Katherine_Scott We are preparing a video of the robot’s overall concept and operation. We will share it with the ROS community when it is released.

3 Likes

Hi Pedro
Can you please also share presentation with me.

I will be indeed delighted.

1 Like

@lisuwang attached the news article as PDF in case someone can’t reach the URL
https://pulsenews.co.kr/view.php?year=2019&no=1063820
Delivery robot, self-driving shuttle are latest beneficiaries of sandbox in Korea - 매일경제 영문뉴스 펄스(Pulse).pdf (908.3 KB)
this is so cool😁 https://cnbc.sbs.co.kr/article/10000966332

2 Likes

@joespeed thank you ,i can browse the url now

I share a new related video. Um … It’s in Korean because it’s a local broadcast in Korea.
Please understand. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Can I get my coffee delivered next time I’m in Seoul at Samsung HQ? :wink:

Thanks for sharing the video. The sound effects made this fun to watch (even if I only understood about 0.1% of the Korean).

3 Likes

Great job! That little robot looks lovely :smile:

1 Like

Nice work!

Can I ask if you are using the new ROS2 navigation stack?

1 Like

Great! could i ask what ROS version is used on this?

1 Like

@Rayman Thanks, since our driving environment is mostly outdoor, we have developed and used a computer vision processing program for autonomous driving.

1 Like

@tomoyafujita, We are using ROS 2 Dashing and preparing for the next LTS version.