The Robotics and Automation Unit at Eurecat Technology Center (Barcelona) is looking for a highly motivated researcher to develop his/her PhD thesis in learning, understanding and reasoning for graceful behaviour in robots.
The candidate will work mainly for the RoNous Flagship project. The thesis will explore the scientific challenges related to model the behavior of robots based on learning. The ability to learn and extract information from the environment will enable a new approach for behavior planning and programming exploiting this knowledge and the consciousness of the environment. The goal is to incorporate cognitive concepts in the decision making process, in order to obtain a more natural behavior. The research will focus on the scientific contribution and technological developments including:
- Artificial Intelligence: deep learning, reinforcement learning, Learning from Demonstration, adaptive learning.
- Robotics: manipulation and grasping, SLAM and localization methods, path planning and navigation, vision, 3D perception, behavior modelling.
- Develop, validate and maintain code.
- Lead, plan and execute demonstrations.
- Participate and lead scientific publications.
Besides, it is a great opportunity to apply robotics research to real applications working in National or H2020 research projects or hand by hand with our customers in several of our private contracts with industry.
- MSc in Robotics. Other disciplines such as Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or related disciplines may be considered.
- Familiarity with robotics.
- Knowledge of ROS (Robot Operating System).
- Experience with C++ and python, reusable code and software documentation.
- Team spirit and ability to work independently.
- Excellent communication skills, flexibility and creativity.
- Very good knowledge of English is required.
What Eurecat Robotics can offer you
Eurecat, Technology Centre brings together the expertise of 600 professionals and serving more than a thousand companies. Applied R + D, technological services, highly technoscientific training, technology consulting and professional events are some of the services that Eurecat offers for companies of all sectors.
The Robotics and Automation Unit is specialized in research and development on Ground, Aerial and Industrial Robotics. With a strong focus on our customers and partners needs, our mission is to enhance the capabilities and reliability of autonomous systems operating in realistic scenarios, improving the existing technology and enabling new applications. For over 15 years, the group has been involved in several of the most successful European projects in robotics. Please check our website for more details about our research, projects and videos:
Our laboratory is located in Cerdanyola del Vallès, just outside Barcelona city (Spain). Barcelona besides being easily connected to the rest of Europe, provides a great quality of life and a great robotics ecosystem full of initiatives, research groups, robotics companies and interesting events. And many more to come!
Application procedure and conditions
The PhD will be developed under “Dr. Vicente López Martínez” program, an initiative to promote collaboration between Eurecat and Top Universities. The program has a 3 year duration and the student will be supervised by a University Professor and an Eurecat Researcher, both holding a PhD degree. For more details about the conditions, please check:
If you are interested, apply here: