MoveIt has grown in many ways, some good and some bad. We are worried that this growth has resulted in some stagnation and difficulty in making large changes that would add value. To that end the maintainers of MoveIt met and made this plan to spur future development:
- Do exercise where we design MoveIt with our experience as if it doesn’t exist. This should educate a roadmap of features, refactors.
- A drive to simplify and clarify the interfaces and levels of abstraction. We recognize the library has grown in complexity to the point where none of us understand it fully.
- Defining what is MoveIt to educate what belongs and what doesn’t.
- Discuss in GitHub issues parts of MoveIt we are confused about why they are part of the library and consider removing them.
- Old features that are sufficiently superseded by newer features should be removed to reduce the complexity of MoveIt.