Prioritizing ROS Issues: An experiment

tl; dr: I made a ROS Feedback Portal using Fider for voting on issues in the greater ROS ecosystem.

Disclaimer: This is an experimental prototype with no guaranteed consequences. The highest voted issue will not necessarily receive development time. I’m an individual developer who is trying out an idea independently.

Problem: Its hard to know what the biggest pain points are across the ROS ecosystem, especially when it is spread across multiple GitHub organizations and non-Github places. While you can comment and emoji-react to issues on GitHub and then sort by most comments / most emoji, its not the most straightforward approach. Case and point: This thread

Possible solution: Fider is a “feedback portal for feature requests and suggestions” for giving “customers” a way to express what they need.

The idea is for the community to submit issues that they’d like to see get more traction, and the community can upvote them as a way to say “this is also a problem for me right now”. And then the community’s needs that intrinsically are affecting the most people rise to the top.

(At one point, this was my plan for helping steer the ROS 2 TSC to meet the communities needs.)

(Apologies for the URL. I’d blame Docker, but its really an Apache problem that I’m too lazy to research.)

13 Likes

Awesome! Can I add tags, or is that allowed only for you, @DLu ?

Right now I’m the only administrator. I bumped you up to Collaborator, which might help. I’m open to suggestions for new tags.

Thanks. What about tags core, tf, control, navigation, sensor processing?

I think this is exactly what we need! Would love to see this incorporated on various landing pages.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.