Rclcpp Debian Package Optimization Level

Does anybody know if/what optimization level the rclcpp debian package(s) (specifically I’m looking at ros-foxy-rclcpp_2.4.2-1focal.20221012.230743_amd64.deb) is compiled using? I tried unpacking the .deb and using objdump/strings on librclcpp.so to look for a flag, and grepping/manually looking through the ament/cmake build files, but I couldn’t find any optimization flags anywhere.

This search was prompted by doing some profiling of a project using rclcpp, I found that ~ 75% of the CPU time was being taken up in rclcpp related functions, and if I could improve upon that with a “simple” -O3 flag applied somewhere, that would be awesome.

This is really more a question for ROS Answers, but to not just send you away with a “please ask this somewhere else”: rclcpp is compiled with -O2 -g -DNDEBUG. That’s basically CMake’s RelWithDebInfo (although CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE is set to None).

You can see that here in the console output. It’s all driven by a standard Debian build pipeline which knows how to talk to CMake (these are the files which Bloom uses to configure that pipeline).

3 Likes

Ah, did not know, I’ll direct future questions like this there. Thank you for both pointing that out and still helping out, appreciate the info very much!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.