Hey all! My name is Alex, I’m a co-founder at Urban Machine. I love developing software for robotics and am a huge ROS2 aficionado. We’re just now growing the team at Urban Machine, and are looking to hire some smart robotics hardware and software folks.
Please reach out with any questions about what we’re doing, what our culture is like, or suggestions on how to better reach people!
P.S.: Check out our open source colcon extension: GitHub - UrbanMachine/colcon-poetry-ros: An extension for colcon-core that adds support for Poetry in ROS projects
Okay, with that said, here’s the job posting blurb:
We are a robotics startup based in Oakland, California, tackling the multi-billion dollar problem of construction and demolition waste. Every year, billions of dollars worth of construction materials are landfilled simply because the cost of labor to sort and reuse is too high. Almost 25% of all landfill is generated by the construction industry! Our mission is to salvage the past to make for a more sustainable future in our built environment. We are doing this by applying cutting-edge robotics to upcycle materials and return them to the market as valuable assets.
You will be developing software for cutting edge robotics applications. You will collaborate closely with other robotics software engineers and mechatronics engineers. You will iterate rapidly, question and re-question design choices, and integrate software closely with the hardware design cycle. You will analyze interesting and dynamic problems, and create clean, optimized software solutions.
Our team emphasizes frequent code reviews, monthly retrospectives, and implementing best practices in code infrastructure to allow us to solve hard problems scalably.
What we’re really looking for is a sharp software geek who loves challenging problems, and doesn’t mind learning a variety of different tools, or even researching new tools for a novel task.
- 3+ year of experience with Python, having deploying python applications professionally in the past.
- Solid understanding of ROS concepts, or similar distributed messaging systems
- Software fundamentals (writing modular code, unit testing, data structures, etc)
- Any of the following:
- Computer vision techniques, usage of OpenCV, open3d, and numpy
- Machine learning architecture and design for 2d instance segmentation or 3d inference on point clouds
- Path planning for robot arms, especially in environments where multiple robots are working within the same workspace.
- Writing web applications, or some webapp related personal projects
- Kubernetes, terraform, or other cloud-native deployment tools
- Docker, Docker Compose, and Linux networking
- Modeling/analysis capability with Python/Gazebo/Open3d
- Embedded C++ or other embedded experience
- Working with GPU enabled systems
- Deploying any of the following communication protocols:
EtherCAT, Modbus, CANopen, EtherNet/IP, or other field bus protocols.
- Deploying any of the following platforms:
Beckhoff/Twincat, Rockwell, Siemens, or other industrial automation platforms.
- Competitive salaries, generous equity, and benefits including 401K, medical, dental & vision
- Start-up environment where you’ll help shape the culture and have a huge impact
- Regularly scheduled on and off-site team building activities
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun maker-style office environment
- Be at ground zero of the sustainable robotics revolution
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.