ROS 2 G Name Brainstorming

I love Galactic Gamera. Logo would be epic!

4 Likes

Galactic Gopher
or maybe
Galloping Green

How about Gorgeous Geochelone?

Golden Greek, anyone?
http://www.chelonia.org/terrestris_gallery.htm

How about Garlic?
I recommend to look at the modular structure of garlic and how it can be related to ROS :slight_smile:

In order of preference:

• GIGANTIC – in line with @ThiloZimmermann suggestion
  • Galactic – but in as homage to the band Galactic. I think if we play our cards right we can have them play ROSCon New Orleans.
  • Glabrous – (i.e. smooth)

I think we should break with cannon and use a tortoise. I am a big fan of Gopherus agassizii. These little critters could really use more visibility as their populations have declined more than 90% since 1980.

1 Like

No preference about the turtle type, but I would love to see the t-shirt for a “grumpy” release. Using’s Katherine’s suggestion, Grumpy Gopherus is really fun to say out loud.

5 Likes

Giggly Gopherus
Ginger Glyphistoma
Geometric Geometricus
Gusty Gopherus

+1 gigantic

umm, do you know what that song is about?:thinking: Much love for the Pixies! Even Frank Black open for Ben Folds at University of Arizona bar

Ginormous Graptemys

1 Like

Golden Galactic
Golden Grape
Glorious Ghido
Glorious Galactic

+1 #GiganticGamera :turtle: a.k.a. #GigaGamera is an amazing turtle … that is Gigantic

“As the film series progressed, Gamera took on a more benevolent role, becoming a protecter of humanity, and especially of human children, from extraterrestrial races and other giant monsters.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamera

@ThiloZimmermann @Katherine_Scott @Manuel_Fdez @mschickler @zmichaels11

7 Likes

Geometric Geochelone

Although I also like “Giga Gamera”

2 Likes

I endorse this, mostly for including a screenshot from MST3K.

Golfing Gopher?

1 Like

Ok here is my number 1:

• Galactic Geochelone

Geochelone genus contains the “star tortoise”?

Clearly it is one of the following with Galactic!:

• Galactic Geochelone
  • Galactic Glyptemys
  • Galactic Graptemys
  • Galactic Gopherus
  • Galactic Gamera
  • Galactic Geometricus
1 Like

Lonesome George was the last known individual of the Pinta Island Tortoises. It appeared in the Guinness world record book as the most endangered animal and the most rare reptile.

Guinness George or Gigantic George

4 Likes

Galatic Gamera would be perfect!

1 Like

I think you mean #GigaGamera ! :grin:
MV5BMTAxNzE5NzgxMDVeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDE1MDQyNzk@.V1

1 Like

:sweat_smile: as @gbiggs mentioned, the logo possibilities for galactic are endless. Also, ros-galactic sounds super cool :grin:

Just a reminder, anything that is encumbered IP is probably not going to pass as the distro name. That includes Gamera, unfortunately.