ROS Resources: Documentation | Support | Discussion Forum | Service Status | Q&A answers.ros.org

ROS 2 on Zybo z7

Hello, I’m here for some advice, I want to explore the potential of Zybo z7 in robotics using ROS2 (Put in the programmable logic (FPGA) some algorithms used in mobile robot navigation ), I’ve already used a raspberry pi in turtlebot3 with ROS, but I’m afraid that is not that easy with Zybo and ROS2. I’ve been reading about ROS2 and it sounds great, but sincerely I have not used it at all. so…
should I start with ROS in Zybo firstly or try directly with ROS2?
anyone have done this before? (ROS+FPGA+LINUX)
Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I’d say it is very unlikely to replace RPi with Zybo z7 because the board doesn’t look like supporting any OS.
You can request more information from digilent whether they have used it for ROS application.
Thank you.

hi, thank you for your reply. According to Digilent: The Zynq family is based on the Xilinx All Programmable System-on-Chip (AP SoC) architecture, which tightly integrates a dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor with Xilinx 7-series Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) logic therefore I think it should be possible.

Assuming that you install Linux on the Cortex-A9, you should, in theory, be able to run ROS 2 on it. I’ll point out that Cortex-A9 is 32-bit ARM, which is Tier-3 support. So you’ll definitely have to build all of ROS 2 from source, and it is not officially supported (see https://index.ros.org/doc/ros2/Releases/Release-Foxy-Fitzroy/#id7 for the supported platforms). That being said, if you run into any issues, please feel free to open bugs and/or open pull requests to fix things for you.

1 Like