ROS Android NDK

Hi all!
I’m happy to announce that the ROS NDK for Android has added Pluginlib support. As well as some smaller general improvements.

There are some important things you need to know to be able to use Pluginlib on Android, that’s why you would probable want to take a look at the tutorial.

We invite you to try it and give us your feedback.

Hey im not totally clear on how to use pluginlib. Say i am using move_base and want to include the plugins for costmap_2d as well as the local and global planner.
Then i have to define the lib of costmap2d and the planners in the android.mk file.
like this:
LOCAL_WHOLE_STATIC_LIBRARIES := libcostmap_2d libbase_local_planner libglobal_planner
usually i would have defined the plugins in my yaml file like this:
plugins:
- {name: static_layer, type: ‘costmap_2d::StaticLayer’}
- {name: obstacle_layer, type: ‘costmap_2d::ObstacleLayer’}
- {name: inflation_layer, type: ‘costmap_2d::InflationLayer’}
But with rosjava i dont have the option to use yaml so i set the rosparams with the ParameterTree.set(name,value);
Do i have to define the plugins there?
I hope i made my question clear.
kind regards!

Hi @mps2209!

You are in the right track. In rosjava kinetic, a ParameterLoaderNode was added to rosjava, which can read from yaml files and upload the contents to the parameter server.

I suggest you to take a look at tangobot repository; it uses the cross compiled navigation stack. You will probably find it useful.

Some places you should look at:

Hope it helps!

2 Likes