ROS Developers Podcast #69: The ROS Classic Basic Knowledge Map

ROS Developers Podcast #69: The ROS Classic Basic Knowledge Map
Podcast Link: https://www.theconstructsim.com/the-ros-classic-basic-knowledge-mind-map/

Today, I would like to dedicate the episode to all of you that are starting with ROS. This is going to be tough, you are going to feel confused sometimes. Please, do not surrender. Start with small steps. Do not try to get all the knowledge at once. Keep pushing your ROS learning. And soon you will succeed. You have entered into an amazing and exciting world, which also has a big future. This episode is dedicated to you.

In this episode, I will talk about the basic knowledge we have to have in order to be called a ROS Developer. That is, what is the basics of ROS.

There is a lot to learn about ROS. But when you learn the basics of it, you are more than half the way done. The other half, I would divide it into finding errors in programs and learning new ROS parts like navigation, Moveit, OpenCV with ROS or so.

I would say that the main problems for learners of ROS are two:

• to learn the basics
  • and then to generate the ROS instinct about which questions to ask to the system when there is an error, in order to catch it.

In this episode we are going to concentrate on the former, since the later is a matter of practice, practice, practice.

I identify 15 basic subjects required to master ROS. Each of those subjects are at the same time divided by subtopics.

Let’s have a look at all of them:

1. ROS core
  2. ROS nodes
  3. ROS CLI
  4. ROS environmental variables
  5. ROS packages
  6. Catkin
  7. ROS topics
  8. ROS messages
  9. ROS parameter server
  10. ROS debugging tools
  11. ROS services
  12. ROS actions
  13. ROS logging
  14. Callback Queue
  15. ROS URDF
  16. ROS TF
  17. ROS installation

There is also an infographic at the link that you can download as a pdf.