Greetings ROS users,
Happy World Turtle Day! 
I am pleased to announce that the 12th ROS distribution, Melodic Morenia , is now available on Ubuntu Bionic 18.04, Ubuntu Artful 17.10, and Debian Stretch.
32-bit ARM (armhf) packages are available on Bionic, and 64-bit ARM (aarch64) packages are available for Ubuntu Bionic and Debian Stretch.
To install ROS Melodic, refer to the Installation page on the Wiki:
There are a couple of Release notes to be aware of while installing Melodic:
- If you installed Melodic from binaries during the beta, you’ll have to remove all of your packages and reinstall them.
- There are currently no debug packages (containing the debug symbols) available for Ubuntu Bionic or Artful packages. This will be remedied a short time after the release, see https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/reprepro-updater/pull/60 for details and the fix.
Check out the Migration guide for a changelog of new features and API changes:
465 packages in the ROS ecosystem are in the initial release of Melodic, compared to 2020 currently in Kinetic. You can see the released packages on the status page for Melodic:
And you can compare the versions of packages in Melodic and other active ROS distributions here:
If there’s a package missing in Melodic that you’d like to see released, please:
- check if the package can be released here:
- contact the maintainers to let them know:
- by opening an issue on the source repository
- posting on the ROS discourse release category: https://discourse.ros.org/c/release
Even though we’ve made the initial Melodic release, it’s never too late to add packages to Melodic (or Lunar, Kinetic, or Indigo) for upcoming syncs.
Melodic T-shirts (and hoodies) should come through in the mail this week.
We’d also like to announce the name of the next ROS distribution:
Thank you to all of the maintainers and contributors who helped make this release possible.
We couldn’t do this without you.
Chris and the ROS Team