Smach for ROS 2

Hey All,

I was just curious as to whether or not there has been any work/initial planning done for porting smach to ROS 2?

I’ve checked the Collaboration Bulletin Board and I noticed that work has been done for the design of actions but there was no mention of smach.

Would this be a situation where ROS 2 actions would strive to be inherently compatible with smach or would smach update to become compatible with ROS 2 actions? I know that the ROS 2 action design was inspired by actionlib so I’m curious as to how far off smach would be from already being compatible.

Thanks for your time.

5 Likes

Wondering the same. Did you find an anwser?

Best,
Ruud

Not yet.
Please let me know when you find.
I in my turn, promise to do the same.

Log,
Best

There was some development by lesire as show in https://github.com/ros/executive_smach/issues/70

I think it is time to bump this. I think there is a lot of interest here. There is strong desire for a python implementation.

Anyone have any leads? Is SMACH truely orphaned? (gutted)
@jbohren-hbr please save us!

I don’t know Smach very well, but perhaps pytransitions could be a replacement:

1 Like

Finally a ball started rolling. Porting SMACH to ROS2 · Issue #70 · ros/executive_smach · GitHub

• ROS2-ifying the software is complete. That said, testing is appreciated.
  • What’s in progress is to add to ROS index and build the installer (i.e.g apt-compatible).

If you’re curious, please keep an eye on the progress in case anything is stuck but no one responds to it.

Lastly, if you feel like co-maintaining, please message me.

1 Like