ROS Resources: Documentation | Support | Discussion Forum | Service Status | Q&A answers.ros.org

Technical Steering Committee (TSC) Meeting #29 (2021/04/14) Minutes

2021/04/14 15:00 UTC

Attendees

  • Ryohsuke Mitsudome (TSC Chair)
  • Shinpei Kato (AWF)
  • Yang Zhang (AWF)
  • Bobby Hambrick (AWF)
  • Jim Liu (AWF)
  • Girish Shirasat (AWF)
  • Daisuke Tanaka (AWF)
  • Christian John (SPC)
  • Josh Whitly (AWF)
  • Bonolo Mathibela (AWF)
  • Hiroshi Igata (ODD WG)
  • Kerem Par (Adastec)
  • Joe Speed (ADLINK)
  • Filipe Rinaldi (Arm)
  • Cheng Chen (AutoCore)
  • David Van Guyen (AutonomouStuff)
  • Jilada Eccleston (Tier IV)
  • Jaime Martin Losa (eProsima)
  • Akihiko Tsukuda (eSOL)
  • Rahul Mangharam (F1 Tenth Foundation)
  • Seonman Kim (LGE)
  • Tsutomu Otake (Macnica)
  • Pascal Lecuyot (Navya)
  • Adam Dabrowski (Robotec.ai)
  • Yao Zhai (Ziiko)
  • Dejan Pangercic (Apex, guest presenter)
    Minutes:

Action items

Opening remarks and new member introductions (TSC Chair)

  • Marketing/Events:
    • ROSCON21: Agreed to go for FRIEND level with Diversity Program add-on for sponsorship
    • World Intelligence Congress (WIC) 2021: Agreed to send video message from Shinpei
  • New members to TSC
    • Etienne Hermite (Navya)

Confirmation of previous minutes

Minutes approved.

Working group report: Autonomy Software

The Cargo ODD work is continuing as expected. Milestone 1 ended on Friday, April 2nd and Milestone 2 began the following Monday - scheduled to complete May 14th, 2021. Apex.AI and Tier IV are the primary contributors with other contributions from LeoDrive, ARM, Macnica (recent), and a few other individuals. Many improvements have been made to the localization and perception stacks recently. Most of the work for the Racing ODD is being done outside of the Autware.Auto repository. Some students from UCSD will be working toward a working ROS2 driver for the speed controller used on the F1TENTH vehicles this week. On the IAC side, a “Base Software Working Group” has been formed to discuss the base functionality that will be provided in Autoware.Auto for that use-case.
Cargo Delivery ODD project is in progress. Josh, Bonolo, and Zing are doing weekly meetings for coming up demo.

  • (Ryohsuke) There are many open issues for MS1, is it okay to move to MS2?
    • (Josh) Many issues should be moved to the Long-term Backlog.
    • (Ryoshuke) Active working group members should be aware of the deadlines
    • (Bonolo) We are inviting Zing Robotics members for the next meeting to get alligned with the deadlines.
    • (Josh) currently we are blocked by data collection to setup Simulation Environment
    • (Shinpei) Navya can also provide support for cargo ODD
  • (Filipe) Some members weren’t aware of the timeline
    • Zing is doing demo in June
    • AWF will also have a demo in July but with Zing’s hardware and test site.
      • Action Item: Zing should share their schedule on this topic in the next TSC meeting. Ryohsuke will notify them beforehand.

Working group report: Operational Design Domain

As announced before, the simulation framework has been open-sourced from Tier IV. Tier IV explained it and did a walk through of the tools for the new members in ODD WG. At the moment, the framework above is integrated with AutowareArchitectureProposal instead of Autoware. Auto.Tier IV is working on the integration of its planning simulator with Autoware.Auto aiming to finish by early May. We also started discussion on how we can integrate SVL Simulator with this scenario/simulation framework.

Arm team is actually suffering from a tool issue in its effort to finish their part of cargo delivery scenarios, and I had to ask them to use the latest version scenario test runner BEFORE the open-sourcing.

  • (Filipe) Arm is finding issues with the tools. Filipe and Igata will work together to solve this

HW WG Report:

  • (Shinpei) Tier IV should provide performance evaluation results for the hardware.
  • (Ryohsuke) Is hardware discussion shared in this WG?
    • Yes. Joe and Zing are sharing information.
  • (Joe) We’re coming up with variance for F1 Tenth configuration

FTE activity reports review

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qZfdaMfdZifUQIQ90o2loaukEA4unlh2FYm-J-i2reE/edit?usp=sharing

Bonolo has been tracking FTE requirement compliance. Met each of the members to look for past contributions and seek the possibility to expand the definition of valid contribution as FTE.

Discussion:

  • Some items might be too specific and written in more generic way
  • Difference between the governance page and FTE activity report about valid contribution must be addressed.
  • Now that we have SPC as well we should consider contribution to SPC as valid contribution as well
  • TSC and SPC should come up with the list of valid contribution and propose it to the board
  • Action Items:
    • Action Item: Bonolo + Ryohsuke refine the draft in a week
    • Ryohsuke will ask for vote on whether to accept additional items.

How Apex.AI Certified ROS 2 According to ISO 26262 ASIL-D (Apex)

How Apex.AI Certified ROS 2 According to ISO 26262 ASIL-D (AWF TSC April 2021).pdf (1.7 MB)

  • (Filipe) Were there any assumptions about hardware?
    • Yes, Renesus hardware + qnx
  • (Josh) How much was implemented by Apex?
    • Out of 24 packages in the release, 8 was from upstream. Some additional feedback was made to upstream
  • (Girish) Do you have plans to get certification for 61508?
    • Not at the moment.
  • (Adam) Did you have to make changes to executors?
    • Yes, we didn’t use executors but used waitset implementation. We are planning to develop deterministic executors which hopefully share it as open source.
  • (Tsutomu) Is it easy to replace ROS2 to Apex.OS for Autoware.Auto
    • Yes, most of the API is compliant with ROS2.

Formalizing Simulation WG & Racing WG (SPC)

  • (CJ) Simulation working group is planned to start this month. Announcement will be made in ROS Discourse and Autoware Calendar.
  • Since no member has opposition to start the two WG, we will be accepting it as valid working group activity within TSC. There will be reports made within TSC meetings from May.

Autoware.Core / Autoware.Universe architecture (Tier IV)

Due to lack of time, this item is pushed back to the next meeting.
CoreUniverseRepositoryProposal.pdf (405.3 KB)

1 Like