ROS Resources: Documentation | Support | Discussion Forum | Service Status | Q&A answers.ros.org

Technical Steering Committee (TSC) Meeting #30 (2021/05/19) Minutes

2021/05/19 22:00 UTC

Attendees

  • Ryohsuke Mitsudome (TSC Chair)
  • Shinpei Kato (AWF)
  • Yang Zhang (AWF)
  • Bobby Hambrick (AWF)
  • Jim Liu (AWF)
  • Girish Shirasat (AWF)
  • Daisuke Tanaka (AWF)
  • Christian John (SPC)
  • Josh Whitly (AWF)
  • Bonolo Mathibela (AWF)
  • Hiroshi Igata (ODD WG)
  • Kerem Par (Adastec)
  • Joe Speed (ADLINK)
  • Filipe Rinaldi (Arm)
  • Cheng Chen (AutoCore)
  • David Van Guyen (AutonomouStuff)
  • Jilada Eccleston (Tier IV)
  • Jaime Martin Losa (eProsima)
  • Akihiko Tsukuda (eSOL)
  • Rahul Mangharam (F1 Tenth Foundation)
  • Seonman Kim (LGE)
  • Tsutomu Otake (Macnica)
  • Pascal Lecuyot (Navya)
  • Adam Dabrowski (Robotec.ai)
  • Yao Zhai (Ziiko)

Minutes:

Action items

Confirmation of previous minutes

Action items review

  • Bonolo + Ryohsuke refine the draft for FTE contribution

Working group report: Autonomy Software

Work continues on the Cargo ODD. Milestones were reorganized to be timeline-based instead of feature-based. First milestone was closed out and the second will complete at the end of May. Additionally, the demo was postponed to September 17th due to availability of hardware and developer concerns about the original timeline.

Bonolo and Josh have been coordinating with Zing regarding access to the vehicle, sensors, location, etc. Zing is working with PolyExplore to get the location mapped. Zing, PolyExplore, and LG are working on an import process to create a simulation environment with a simple import process. However, while the result of this process is good for lidar-based perception, it is not suitable for camera-based perception and will require contracting a digital artist to complete the scene.

AutoCore has also offered the use of their facility but, given the fairly short timeline until we have data available from PolyExplore (before June) and the effort required to create an accurate simulation environment, we will likely only utilize their facility for on-vehicle testing until the Zing vehicle is ready (before July).

Discussion:

  • (Ryohsuke) For the simulation environment, we had updates in the previous SWWG and decided to continue to create lidar-based perception. We don’t need photo-realistic 3D models for LG, but we would like to have data collected from the real world to test camera-base perception.

Working group report: Operational Design Domain

The forty three machine readable scenarios for cargo delivery ODD have been completed in ODD WG repository. I’d like to appreciate all the contributors.

The number of the original scenario set in natural language counted up to more than sixty, but some of them were not addressable with current tool set which basically simulates the interaction between the EGO vehicle and the NPCs. Unaddressable cases include system error and the fleet management system associated.

Currently in ODD WG weekly meetings, we are working on the following topics in parallel.

  • Discuss tool framework enhancement to accept other simulation programs including LGSVL simulator, and other scenario formats which can handle more abstract scenarios.

  • Re-examine the created scenarios to see if we need additional scenarios for the airport tarmac environment where cargo delivery demonstration is planned.

  • Preliminary discussion for racing ODD.

Discussion:

  • Are there public documents that describe ODD?
    • They are available in ODD WG wiki.
    • (Shinpei) This should be more visible to the new Autoware users. (e.g. adding the link to Autoware.Auto ReadMe)
  • (Shinpei) Most of the people are interested in the future road map. We have AVP, Cargo, and Racing. What’s coming up next?
    • Apollo has roadmap + architecture for each version. We should have similar page.
    • (CJ) We can include this when we update Autoware home page

Working group report: Hardware

Details are in the meeting minutes. Some items of note:

  • Reviewing what exists for the current ODDs: AVP, cargo (general), cargo Zing United Airlines SeaTac airport, racing F1TENTH & Indy Autonomous Challenge
  • Discussion of OpenAD Kit inclusion in HW WG work stream.
  • Armağan Arslan is drafting a supported HW list, it requires a developed and supported ROS 2 driver for each component to be listed. 2 classifications w/in the supported list are “AWF tested” (known to work) and “supported” (probably works).
  • Discussed that New Eagle Raptor is rapidly becoming an Autoware.Auto supported drive-by-wire.

Working group report: Simulation

Simulation WG was officially kicked off on May 12th, and was attended by representatives from Arm, AWS, LG, Robotec, Trustworthy.ai, Tier IV. The WG meetings are planned to continue on a 2 week cadence, alternating between 7am and 10pm PST timeslots. Next meeting will be on May 26th at 10pm PST.

Charter/Objectives for the Sim WG
Charter of the Simulation WG is to lead the development of reference, integrated E2E simulation pipelines to be used in the advancement of Autoware.Auto

  • Objectives of the Simulation WG:
    • Define the reference architecture for E2E simulation pipelines spanning scenario generation, simulation and safety assessment
    • Define open interfaces between various tools (e.g scenario generation and simulation) and solutions (e.g. map assets) for integration into E2E pipeline
    • Develop, document and apply reference E2E pipeline implementations to Autoware.Auto CI/CD
    • Define minimum performance metrics of tools and solutions to achieve required simulation accuracy
    • Application of safety metrics to continuously assess and improve AD safety
    • Application and optimization of E2E pipeline tools and solutions to efficiently utilize compute resources
    • Enable tracking and reporting of simulation results (e.g. dashboards/tools to monitor AD code quality and safety metrics)

Sim WG Chair/Co-chair Selection

Following individuals have been nominated and the goal is to make decision today so that chair/co-chair can be announced at next WG meeting on the 26th

Nominee Company Comments
Steve Lemke LG Co-chair position. Also currently serving as ODD WG Co-chair and could provide continuity given the overlap between the two WG’s on Scenario Generation
Wojciech Jaworski Robotec Chair or Co-chair position. Practical experience working with OEMs on AV simulation projects
Joseph Fernando Arm Co-chair position

Principal architect at Arm and connection to Open AD Kit development|

Decision made:

  • Since Robotec is the only candidate volunteering for the Chair position, Wojciech can take the position without the vote.
  • For the co-chair, we can have an email vote after today’s meeting.
    • We should ask Steve if he would be capable to do both ODD WG co-chair and Simulation WG co-chair. He is also participating to Racing, and we expect to have another WG(Open AD-Kit)

Working group report: Racing

Racing WG has not yet been officially opened up to the broader community. The WG meetings are occurring weekly with members from AWF/SPC and F1TENTH.org. Plan is to open up the WG meetings to the open community within the next few weeks. Discussed with Johannes Betz from F1TENTH.org about Chair position and he is open/positive on supporting.

Work Items for the Racing WG

  • Autoware.Auto port to F1TENTH HW platform. Developed VESC controller software on ROS2 which is now going thru integration test. This has been a gating item to get Autoware.Auto running on the HW platform. Bonolo has also started to develop plan/milestones to address Autoware.Auto modifications for F1TENTH.

  • Hardware configurations. Team is working with HW WG on Autoware.Auto defined F1TENTH HW configurations (e.g. updates better suited to running Autoware). Plan is to develop three configurations (Entry, Standard, Open) with different price/performance targets. Finalizing BOM for Standard which is the configuration that will be used by university AD programs for education/research using Autoware.Auto (photos below).
    2-D Lidar Option Stereo Camera Option

  • Training Material. Working to develop an Autoware.Auto/ROS2 training program (e.g. videos, documentation, coding exercises) to be used by university AD programs. Content is leveraging the existing training material (videos and slides) from the Autoware.org website. Goal is to have a Intro training program available for September start of new school year, and a complete program with advanced topics/exercises in place at the start of the January semester.

  • Simulation. LG has enabled LG SVL with capability and assets to run 1/10 scale simulations for Indy Motor Speedway. Working with F1TENTH team on how bring in 1/10 scale tracks used by community for development and hosting race events with F1TENTH hardware.

  • Racing ODD. Starting work with ODD WG to document the scenarios/use cases for Racing using the framework/specifications that have been established for Cargo ODD.

  • Indy Autonomous Challenge. Conducted training session on Autoware.Auto/ROS2 to university teams competing in IAC. Supporting Clemson Univ with the integration of Autoware.Auto in the baseline configuration of the race car. Track testing in progress with the goal of executing fast laps using Autoware.Auto.

  • DOT/CARMA Engagement. DOT/CARMA program is using F1TENTH as the basis for what the call C1TENTH (F1TENTH + Autoware + WiFi based V2X). Exploring opportunities to collaborate with DOT on use of small scale vehicles for ODD demonstrations and V2X/CDA focused education programs. DOT using scale replicas of trucks for Port Drayage Cargo ODD demo.

Discussion:

  • Josh meeting with Clemson Univ. within a couple of weeks for IAC.
  • Racing WG is still not made public. We launch publicly soon.

FTE activity reports review

FTE activity reports 2021_05_19.pdf (106.6 KB)

Definition of a valid contribution for FTE Requirements

FTE Obligations FAQ (For TSC-minutes).pdf (68.7 KB)

New items(in red text) will be added as valid contributions from the next FTE activity report.

Autoware.Core/Autoware.Universe Architecture Proposal (Tier IV) 10min

(left over topic from the previous meeting)

Presentation:
CoreUniverseArchitectureProposal.pdf (909.7 KB)

Discussion:

  • Due to lack of time questions or comments can be done offline.
    • Action Item: Jilada can create a thread in TSC representative group to gather feedback

Updates for Open AD Kit WG (Girish, CJ)

We are initiating Open AD Kit WG to discuss DevOps and providing
AWF OpenAD Kit.pdf (117.1 KB)

Generic Lidar Device Driver Proposal (Tier IV & Nagoya)

Due to lack of time, this was postponed to the next TSC call.