Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future. At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
You will be part of the Robotics team at ABB Research in Västerås Sweden. In our role as ABB Research, we ensure ABB’s technology competitiveness now and in future. In the Robotics team we focus on mechatronics concepts, design and robot intelligence in both industrial and service robot segments. The research activities are usually formulated as technology pre-study and technology development projects. We work closely with ABB’s Robotics business to ensure our research will bring unique value for ABB business. At the same time, we have close collaboration with academic world to bridge the academic and industrial research. In this team, one of our historical highlights is the creation and development of the dual-arm YuMi robot concept and the mobile YuMi concept.
- You will be part of creating new technologies that is crucial for the factory-of-the-future in discrete manufacturing. More specifically, the focus will be mainly to develop robot skills and grasping technologies, to explore autonomous robot manipulating scenarios under unstructured environments.
- For new robot application segments, you are expected to develop key enabling technologies for robotized solutions, such as robot motion planning, environment awareness, object recognition and manipulation, etc. This involves theoretical analysis and modeling, tuning algorithms in simulation environment, and deploying algorithms to real systems with further calibration and tuning.
- Technologies developed need to be deployed on real robot system for verification and validation. Hands-on/experimental work is necessary hence relevant experience is appreciated.
- The technology development results need to be documented as technical reports, invention disclosures, scientific articles.
- With a comprehensive robotics knowledge base and proven technology development records, you are expected to lead a research project team, following ABB’s project management framework with your project management leadership.
- Stakeholder management is crucial in order to fulfill technology development requirements from ABB’s business units while handing over technology results smoothly.
- Working in an international team, you are expected to drive specific activities to successful conclusion while following a visionary continuity in your work, both in a team and independently.
- MSc or PhD degree in the subjects of Robotics/Control or Computer Science.
- Good theoretical knowledge and experience in the fields of robot control, object grasping/manipulating, and good understanding of robot applications both in simulation and with real robots. Good knowledge base for autonomous and intelligent mobile robotics.
- Software skills in C++ and Python are important and experience of ROS is an advantage.
- Proven project management skills and records for R&D type of projects in industrial environment.
- Able to deploy solution into ABB robot system for the required technology readiness level.
- Strong analytical, communication and coordination skills, capable of working both independently and in a team.
- Fluent in English, written and spoken alike.