Announcing Release 0.2.0 of the Virtual Maritime Robotics Challenge Simulation

We are happy to announce the release of version 0.2.0 of the Virtual Maritime Robotics Challenge (VMRC) project. The release includes a number of new features that will be of general interest to groups working with unmanned surface vessels and of particular interest to teams participating in the 2018 RobotX competition.

Some of the new features include:

• Improved environmental models for wind and wave environmental forcing

• Configuration examples for commonly used sensors (cameras, 3D LiDAR, etc.)

• Configuration examples for commonly used propulsion designs and user customizable propulsion curves

• Reconfigurable models for competition course elements to allow for building custom courses from buoys, totems, light buoy, docks, placards, etc.

• Gazebo plugins to specify dynamic course elements (light buoy and docking placards)

• Docker support tutorials and downloadable Docker Hub images.

• Expanded tutorials

Watch a short highlight video to get an overview of what features are included.

The project is still in active development, so feedback and contributions are greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Amazing work!! We at The Construct love so much that simulation that we have created a ROSject to train the robot with openai_ros package.

We are going to do a free Live Class on how to train the RObotX next Tuesday the 5th September 2018 at 18:00 CEST, PROVIDING all the code already RUNNING for the attendants. Find the details here: https://youtu.be/Kg_deOVxn8o

P.S. I’m Ricardo from The Construct. I really love that simulation so much that I couldn’t resist to take a picture with one of its creators Carlos Aguero, while visiting OSRF last July :wink:

IMG_3719