… … ok, NOW we can tell you CES 2022 Indy Autonomous Challenge Jan 7th at Las Vegas Motor Speedway! The Consumer Electronics Show (CES) has 1,500 exhibitors including BMW, Bosch, Amazon, GM, Audi, Toyota, Ford, et al. In past years it had 180,000 attendees.
The university teams competing in Las Vegas include:
- EuroRacing – University of Modena and Reggio Emilia (Italy), University of Pisa (Italy), ETH Zürich (Switzerland), Polish Academy of Sciences (Poland) ( Oct. 23 finalist )
- KAIST, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (South Korea)
- MIT-PITT-RW , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Pittsburgh, Rochester Institute of Technology, University of Waterloo (Canada)
- PoliMOVE – Politecnico di Milano (Italy), University of Alabama ( Oct . 23 finalist )
- TUM Autonomous Motorsport – Technische Universität München (Germany) ( Oct. 23 winner )
To run their $1M fast robots, the university teams selected Open Robotics ROS 2 with Eclipse Foundation ROS Middleware (Cyclone DDS, iceoryx, Zenoh V2X details here). Some teams run Autoware Foundation ROS 2 packages. TUM team upgraded to Galactic and won $1M.
It is not a coincidence that LG’s Silicon Valley lab published Las Vegas Motor Speedway yesterday for the Unity3D open source SVL Simulator 2021.3 and that there is much chatter about @adamdbrw Robotec.AI contributed ROS 2 For Unity SVLSim plugin.