Job Title: ROS specialist
Industry: Oil and Gas
Location: Aberdeen or Warrington. Remote for exceptional candidate considered
Salary: Depending on experience
Job Type: Fixed Term Contract (FT/PT)
Start Date: November/December
We are an advanced integrity and NDT inspection services provider predominantly working for upstream Oil and Gas operators. We provide leading edge integrity and inspection solutions focused on the delivery of innovative approaches and technologies to maximise the value of inspection to clients in a fast-paced consultancy environment.
We are seeking to employ an enthusiastic and suitably qualified Engineer for Navigation and Localisation in the final year of a robotics research project in our Aberdeen or Warrington offices. The research project is to design and manufacture a semi-autonomous inspection robot that can independently manoeuvre around an oil and gas pressure vessel whilst simultaneously collecting inspection data on wall thickness. The role is open to part-time or full-time candidates. Responsibilities include the following.
- Continue the development of existing ROS algorithms for navigation and localisation of a semi-autonomous robot.
- Use of Gazebo and RViz to simulate robot in virtual environment.
- Test prototype robot to improve and finalise navigation and localisation algorithms prior to real world testing.
- Use of IMU and cameras to determine exact position relative to arbitrary starting point.
- Add SLAM mapping capability in addition to path mapping using blueprints.
- Full time candidate would be expected to take on additional projects involving software development in a Matlab environment. Other language proficiency is acceptable with experience of object orientated programming.
- It is envisioned that the role will start in November/December 2019 and run until the end of the project (current estimated at end of 2020).
We are seeking an experienced ROS user who can join our research project. The successful candidate will have at least the following.
- A degree in Engineering, Mathematics or Sciences or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstratable experience with Robotic Operating System.
- Experience with IMU, depth cameras (Kinnect etc).
- Strong algorithm development knowledge (Matlab, Python or C++)
- Experience in some or all of the following: ROS, image processing, robotics, machine vision.
- Good organisational skills.
- Good team working ethic but able to work on own initiative with minimum supervision.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Good working knowledge of MS-Office tools.
An understanding of practical application of conventional and advanced NDT inspection would be useful but is not a requirement.
For an exceptional candidate remote working would be considered; however, occasional travel to/from Warrington/Aberdeen would be required for testing/integration with the physical robot.
The successful candidate will be offered a benefits package aligned with their qualifications, experience and capability. We offer a dynamic work environment with a focus on innovation and the opportunity to contribute to developments in inspection and integrity, working closely with clients in many of the world’s leading companies.
Further Information and to Apply:
Please send a CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com with subject title “ROS Specialist”. Please state your interest to work in Warrington or Aberdeen.