I’m the author of ROSshow (GitHub - dheera/rosshow: Visualize ROS topics inside a terminal with Unicode/ASCII art), which lets you visualize ROS topics with ASCII art.
I’m introducing ROSboard (GitHub - dheera/rosboard: ROS node that turns your robot into a web server to visualize ROS topics), which simply runs on your robot as a ROS node, and serves up live-streamed visualizations on https://your-robot-ip:8888/
This has been a long-running project of mine (I started working on it before WebViz) but I’ve been looking to pick it up again due to various inadequacies in WebViz.
A couple of the most important things I’m hoping to achieve with this:
ROS1/ROS2 compatible – it should work in both ROS versions! Tested in noetic, foxy, galactic, it should work in kinetic and melodic as long as you pip3 install rospkg. By the way, it makes use of my library “rospy2” which allows for the same code to work in ROS1 and ROS2.
Mobile-friendly – one of my preferred ways of debugging (especially outdoor) robots is to walk around with the robot and a phone.
Easily extensible – creating a custom visualization involves only adding ONE .js file and adding a reference to it in the main .js file.
Roadmap for things I hope to do in the future. Collaboration and suggestions welcome! I’d also love to hear more about what the community finds lacking in the current state of local visualization tools. This is a FOSS project, BSD licensed.
- (DONE) visualizations for OccupancyGrid, LaserScan, PointCloud2, DiagnosticArray, Shape
- (DONE) diagnostics aggregation
- (DONE) visualizations for Odometry, Point, Point32, Pose, PoseStamped, PoseWithCovariance, PoseWithCovarianceStamped
- (near future) Path, Imu, MagneticField, Trajectory
- (near future) time series plots of diagnostic data and of topics with multiple fields
- (near future) rosbag v1 support
- (near future) throttling options
- (future) TF tree, URDF visualization, etc.
- (future) rosbag v2 support
- (future) bandwidth detection and automatic throttling
- (future) publishers from the web browser