Navigation2 WG changes and HELP WANTED

That’s sad news indeed. Many thanks for your hard work and I hope you will find your way back into the project!

3 Likes

Sad to hear! Thanks for all your work man.

Thank you Matt! We had a great team :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Grateful to the Intel team and @mkhansen for getting us where we are today with Nav2. As a robot developer and user of Nav2, we would love to help anyway we can. We just need some guidance on getting started since we’ve never worked in a WG or maintained a repo! :roll_eyes:

The two best ways you can potentially get involved are to:

1. Attend one of our working group meetings, which occur weekly on Thursdays. Just stop by, introduce yourself, what you’re doing, and what you might want to work on. We can definitely help steer you towards sections that can best use your skillsets and time you’re able to put in.
  2. Go on GitHub and file / take tickets, or ask questions! We have a bunch of tickets representing bugs big and small, and features we’d like to develop big and small. Moreover, if there’s new ideas you’d like to see or work on, file the ticket and get the discussion started!
5 Likes

@smac thanks! We’ll definitely make it for the next WG meeting. I’ll pm my email to you so we can be added to the mailing list

Thanks a lot to the whole team for getting Nav2 to where it is today – not “just” ported, but very much improved! I think it is a much better base for future work than the old navigation stack, and has already contributed much to the acceptance of ROS 2.

I hope we can keep up the good work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello @smac ,

Could you please help me get started with joining up with this WG? Mailing list, calendar alerts, link to the meetings etc… tejas.kumar.shastha@ipa.fraunhofer.de.

I have 1.5 years experience with ROS1, low-intermediate development skills, am beginning to learn the basics of ROS2 and hope to soon start contributing in small but incremental measures!

Thank you!

2 Likes

Also just to add some instructions - there’s a google calendar on the ROS2 TSC Governance page here (https://index.ros.org/doc/ros2/Governance/).

You can add the reoccuring working groups meetings that you’re interested in to your calendar. We use the Hangouts link in that invite.

CC @ipa-kut @keshavchintamani

See you all later this afternoon. I’m happy to see all this interest.

@smac The calendar invite I received says 0000 to 0100 CET for us in Europe. Any chance this can be advanced by a couple of hours or around 2000CET. Understand theres no slot that meets all needs but its too late for most of us here. Its impossible for me atleast.

Is there any way we can find a more convenient time for all? This has probably been discussed before but I’m all ears for ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

The problem with advancing it is the folks in Asia. We have active members of the community in Japan and Korea that regularly attend. We’ve tried shuffling times around before and this is just what we’ve landed on, for now. I personally wouldn’t mind pushing it up a couple hours so it doesnt conflict with the TSC meetings, but I want to be cognizant of others schedules.

@gbiggs thoughts?

1 Like

I agree. This the best I could come up with. Us Europeans are happy to be up early which will suit our Japanese colleagues.Screenshot_20200123-231433|250x500

Is there any value in sharing session recordings ?

For reference timeanddate.com has a handy meeting time tool, eg:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?month=1&day=30&year=2020&p1=137&p2=248&p3=136&iv=1800

I chatted with our colleagues. It sounds like we could move it up an hour if that helps at all.

Let me know.

1 Like

@smac 11pm is much better than midnight :slight_smile: and works for me :+1:

@smac was the calendar event updated? I still have the event marked for midnight EU time.

It will be at 3pm PST today and a topic to discuss is the moving of the time to an hour earlier. It wouldn’t be appropriate for me to unilaterally make that decision without feedback.

2 Likes

Hi Steve. Though I may not be a much help in developing software, I’d like to see if there’s anything that I can help with. I’m also asking our engineers who would be interested in joining this WG.

@keshavchintamani we’ve moved the meeting a few weeks ago over an hour early - any plans on joining us?

I’d love to have you on-board, we should sync up over email or come to the working group meeting.

Steve

Hi Steve yes apologies I couldn’t make it last week(s) but I’m going to join tonight.

1 Like