Navigation2 WG changes and HELP WANTED

All,
I’m saddened to say that the Nav2 team at Intel that has been on the project for the last 18+ months is being disbanded.

What this means is that more help will be needed from the community to continue moving Navigation2 forward to make it even better.

I’m passing the torch of leadership of the Navigation2 WG to Steve Macenski at Samsung, who has been a major contributor to the project. My hope is to continue contributing as much as I can, time allowing, and to stay active in the ROS2 community.

Matt

7 Likes

Discourse needs a “don’t like this post” button next to the “like this post” button.

It’s sad to hear that Intel’s nav2 team is going away. You’ve all done a huge amount of work over the last 18 months to bring navigation to ROS 2.

Is Intel cutting back its ROS 2 contributions in general or is this just a refocusing?

8 Likes

It’s part of an overall restructuring and re-organization that is happening. I can’t answer with more than that right now.

I was looking for the sad button on Discourse to react on this post,
although I have to say, you did a great job until now, and passing the leadership to Steve is the best for that project to keep going on

2 Likes

@gbiggs you forget what gifs are for:

I definitely appreciate any help I can get. Both from junior software developers wanting to get into ROS to experts in algorithms to help modernize our technologies and anywhere in between. Matt and his team has been crucial to getting the stack to where it is today and the skeleton crew of every waking hour of Steve's life isn’t enough waking hours to do navigation and my other research oriented goals.

If any company wants to donate a robot to me to develop on and have first class support in ROS2 Navigation, let me know :wink:

7 Likes

We’ll miss you and your great open source leadership Matt!

4 Likes

Thanks for all the blood, sweat, and tears you’ve given us @mkhansen. It won’t be forgotten.

4 Likes

Just a random user(developer?) passing by. This is my first thought.

Still, thanks for your awesome contribution to ROS2 and Nav2.

4 Likes

Thanks for the contributions @mkhansen and everyone else in your team!

1 Like

This is indeed sad news @mkhansen, but like @kyrofa @Airu and others said, many thanks for the awesome contributions that you have made up to this point! :turtle: :robot: :+1:

1 Like

Thank you, @mkhansen and team for your work. Was a real pleasure to talk with you at the ROS-I conference. I wish we can still see you around.

2 Likes

in case you missed it… here’s the video of Matt giving a ROS2 Robot Dev Kit feat. Navigation2 Overview at #RICEU2019… more videos to be released soon…

6 Likes

Sorry yo hear that :cry:. Thanks @mkhansen for your work

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

I want to make sure that everyone in the team is acknowledged:
@cdelsey
@mjeronimo
@mhpanah
@orduno
@bpwilcox
@Because
@mlherd

Thanks to all of them for the hard work they’ve done to this point and hopefully to more opportunities in ROS2 in the future!

11 Likes

Yeah, big thanks to you and all of the nav2 team. I didn’t have the opportunity to work with you all often, but I really appreciate the value you guys helped bring to the community.

3 Likes

Thanks to the entire Nav2 team at Intel for their contributions, and for spearheading much of the ros2 migration process. The navigation2 project wouldn’t be anywhere as far along as it is today without the time and effort they’ve put in. It was a pleasure to collaborate with you all, and I hope to see you continually around the community.

4 Likes

I wanted to acknowledge all the efforts put down by you guys. And a great thank you for building such a good piece of software.

Feeling sad that our team is getting disbanded :slightly_frowning_face:

We were just getting started! With plenty of ideas on the pipeline.

Anyhow, thanks @mkhansen, for your great leadership. @smac and Intel-team, it’s been a pleasure working with all of you.

3 Likes

Its been a pleasure working with you too!

I’m sure we’ll cross paths again. It’s a small community.

2 Likes

Thanks Matt and the team’s excellent work on leading Navigation2 WG and its development. It is also my pleasure and honor to work with you as part of Intel’s contribution to ROS2 community.

I wish you all the best in the future and keep touch.
:blush:

2 Likes