Nemesis - ROS UVG w/ T265&D435i + Rtabmap (showcase)

Hello folks,

Nemesis is a UVG project I worked on to explore the challenges associated with integrating an existing ground vehicle with the ROS ecosystem. https://antoan.github.io/Nemesis/

My main focus was the hardware interface implementation (adapted from the Husky Clearpath stack) and the perception stack I added later, not the robot build as much.

Cheers,

Antoan

2 Likes

Hello Neuromorphic i’m working on a big UGV which will be used in both indoor mapping and outdoor mapping and also will perform localization and path planning (ROS) can you be of gaidiance from you . I hope you dont mind guiding me out

Hi Daviesss,

Sure, I can try to point you in the right direction. Drop me an email describing the specifics of your project and I’ll see if I can help out: antoan.bekele@gmail.com

Thanks for your response Neuromorphic. I sent in an email describing how and what the project I’m working on is about.

I made a quite similar setup with RPi4 , d435 and t265
I will need comeback to it for some rework .

RIP t265

1 Like

RIP indeed, such a shame. Why did they have to kill it.

Nice setup, btw. Do you have encoders on your wheels?

No, 360 2d lidar (ICP) and t254 is enough good, but I didn’t test extensively, it is 2 years old now, I didn’t have time to come back to it.
Well , technically t265 is a failed product, as d455 is. But people needed buy it and use it.No many alternatives, and that didn’t change.
I want to remove VIO and depth cameras of my life, at least as main component, just thinking in lidar , event cameras and whatever the AI can help.
At the moment I got a 3d lidar.

T265 is not reliable enough, but is ok for many cases and it was well priced.

Just a hobbyist personal opinion, and to be honest ,if you cannot get a lidar or event camera, I wouldn’t look to any other stereocamera of the market, the best alternative to t265, is buy the t261 module and the USB interface (difficult that)
I would not look other recent stereo cameras, but again just personal opinion from a hobbyist.

Enjoy your cool project

1 Like

Thanks for your informative reply, buddy.

I wish I could get my hands on an event camera sensor.

It seems key to really agile/fast navigation that I am very interested in, due to the low microsecond latency, ideal for control. Are they not ridiculously expensive at the moment? I haven’t looked.

Something you might be interested in if you plan to do your own custom SLAM setup, that I plan to use my self, is symforce from the Skydio (Frank Dellawert author of GTSAM) drone team. It allows one to express a custom sensor configuration in python as a factor graph and generates optimised C++ code.

1 Like