OpenPlanner 2.0 Requirements, Design, and Implementation

Hi everyone,
I would like to share with you my intention to redesign and re-implement OpenPlanner (OP) for Autoware.AI taking into consideration ROS 2 and Autoware.Auto.

The following is the current architecture for OpenPlanner.

Important Information:

• OpenPlanner uses internal map format + map information retrieval functions, a converter from any map format to OP road network is required. Also OP has its own .kml file format.
  • Object tracker could be replaced with another tracker if they can output required information (dimensions, convex hull, and/or velocity). Currently the OP object tracker implementation is kf_contour_tracker node.
  • Global planner could be replaced with path loader.
  • OP is stand alone library, could be used outside ROS.

Objectives:

• Remove redundant and unused functions.
  • Develop revised internal map format that covers (vector map, open drive, and lanelet2) map structures.
  • Improve code quality, add simple documentation for each module, add function comments.
  • Add unit tests.
  • Include the latest development of the Intention and Trajectory Estimation.
  • Include the lanelet2 converter/loader support.

Looking forward to ideas, suggestions, and help.

9 Likes

Good luck with 2.0!
Based on what I have seen, the current version doesn’t provide any feedback from the Behavior Planner or Perception to Global Planner. Therefore if the vehicle comes across a road blockage, it will wait infinitely for the road to get released instead of sending a feedback to Global Planner to suggest another global route. I would love to see such feature on Open Planner 2.0

Could give more details about objectives item 2 ?

Develop revised internal map format that covers (vector map, open drive, and lanelet2) map structures.

how do you design the internal map format ? more abstract common data struture ? give me some details, thx

I’m wondering whether we will have the overtake action on OpenPlanner 2.0 since I saw the video on Youtube who uses the Autoware 1.11 on Carla with almost 1 hours 45mins, I saw some action is too slow to do the response (I’ll check the OpenPlanner paper out and give some my opinion.

Now we are working on OpenPlanner 2.5+ , and merging with Autoware 1.15
check this

you can also join the slack channel and attend the meetings .

Regards