Proposed category: Multi-Robot Operations

I would like to propose a new “Multi-Robot Operations” category for ROS Discourse.

A suggested summary would be:

The Multi-Robot Operations category contains discussions on all aspects of tooling for multi-robot operations, including fleet management, multi-fleet integration, traffic/spatial planning, large-scale multi-robot simulation, and other related areas.

Feedback is most welcome to refine the name, summary, or both! Cheers

7 Likes

One of the strengths of ROS2 is that it is easier to create Multi-robot systems. Would this category not interfere with the “Next Generation” category? I think a lot of multi-robot subjects and tooling would fit in both of these. I’m not saying multi-robot would not be a good category I’m just thinking about keeping things organized.

Of course multi-robot applies to both ROS 1 and ROS 2 and having everything multi-robot related in one place has its benefits. I’m interested to hear other peoples opinions on this. (I just want to have all the cool new ROS 2 features popping up in “Next Generation” :stuck_out_tongue: , but maybe that’s just selfish).

@codebot I think this category would be a great idea! Although I think Multi-Robot Systems would cover things like

fleet management, multi-fleet integration

better. Operations could be read as only covering tools like deployment etc.

@MartinCornelis Yes, Next Generation covers ROS2 and Multi-Robot Systems is something you can do in ROS2. But this does not mean it is the same thing. In some sense Multi-Robot Systems are an application of ROS2 although it was possible in ROS1, too as you mentioned. I think

have all the cool new ROS 2 features popping up in “Next Generation”

would make it a very busy place with no good separation of interest. I would see this more as an application of ROS2 and the “Next Generation” category as the inner workings of ROS2.

Yes, very good points. If there is enough substance to fill the multi-robot category then I’m not opposed to the idea at all ^^.

It’s possibly approaching the time where we can stop keeping ROS 2 discussion in a little box in the corner. :wink:

3 Likes

Nobody puts ROS2 in the corner! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::laughing:

Thanks @ct2034 ! I agree that “Multi-Robot Systems” is a better name :+1:

Thanks all for iterating on the description. It looks like we have interest from activity on this thread. However to be more formal I’ll put up a poll and please ask people to formally register their interest in the poll below.

Thanks all for iterating on the description. It looks like we have interest from activity on this thread. However to be more formal I’ll put up a poll and please ask people to formally register their interest in the poll below.

• I’m interested in actively participating in the proposed Multi-Robot Systems category as described above.
  • I’m interested enough to subscribe to the proposed Multi-Robot Systems category as described above.

0 voters

1 Like

Since we look to have critical mass I’ve created a category. https://discourse.ros.org/c/multi-robot-systems

The description is basically as described above with a little bit of cleanup for the recommended discourse short title. Please help get the discussion started.

Thanks @tfoote for creating the category!
Is there a way to move

and maybe

there now?

Yeah, I bumped them over.