Radar Messages - Call For Maintenance Help

Hi yal,

I worked with a coalition of companies back in 2021 to create the radar_msgs package for standard interfaces for radar units as the first building block to having radars better supported in the ROS community (and some projects in Nav2). I’m not myself a radar expert, but have enjoyed being the coalition-builder, requirements-rectifier, and initiative-driver to make it happen with the experts!

However from leaving Samsung Research and launching Open Navigation LLC, this can no longer be something I maintain as I need to reduce the resources I spend on promising projects from a previous job and focus in on the future for the mobile robotics community and starting new promising projects in line with our future direction.

So, I am openly asking for help from

• Radar manufacturers
  • Radar sensor users
  • Interested parties
  • Radar algorithm developers

to take over the maintaince and development of the radar_msgs standard interfaces. Rather than letting it die from poor maintainer resources, I want to open it up for those with vested interest to take it into the future based on their expertise and experience. Its been a joy to work on this thus far, but I acknowledge my limitations and wish to pass it off to the next generation that can continue it forward.

If this would interest you, please comment below!

Steve

4 Likes

I’d be interested in helping out.

1 Like

I have also expressed my interest to Steve @danthony We scheduled a video call to do an introduction on Nov 11, 17:30 CET. Would you like to join that call?

November 11th or December 11th?

Neither, November 21 :wink: